BV DEPENDENT on AMOUNT of PROTEIN IN DIET But BV is dependent upon 1 the EAA

Bv dependent on amount of protein in diet but bv is

This preview shows page 26 - 28 out of 70 pages.

44. BV DEPENDENT on AMOUNT of PROTEIN IN DIET - But BV is dependent upon, 1) the EAA content of the protein and 2) how much % protein is in the diet you want to feed o When testing out protein quality in a feeding study, you don’t feed just that protein You have to feed the protein as a part of a complete diet (a CHO source, a fat source, vitamins, mineral, fiber) and then you have to decide what % protein you’re feeding B/c as you protein content of diet, BV value goes down; indirect relationship (Graph 1) o = The more prot you put into the diet, the less efficient the animal is at retaining that protein and getting it to replace the minimal amt of EAAs that get oxidized everyday - Generally, the accepted amt to feed is 10% by weight protein level of the diet (the other 90% is V&M, CHO, fat and a little bit of fiber)
Image of page 26
SFLORES_3/17/2014 27 o This is true for all types of protein quality measures (PER etc.) o (Graph 2 in notebook): If you feed no N, you’re going to have negative N balance b/c you’re still going to lose protein everyday as a part of Q. At negative balance, you’re highly efficient at retaining as much of that protein as possible As you approach the requirement/amount needed to meet the diet, you actually require a little bit more because it’s not perfectly linear. As you get closer to the requirement you become less efficient at retaining the protein and you need more § As you the protein level of the diet, you actually become very inefficient at retaining it 45. BV DOES NOT TAKE DIGESTIBILITY INTO ACCOUNT - Quality of plant proteins is lower when you take digestibility into account. But BV doesn’t account for digestibility o This is a disadvantage b/c you’re only looking at amount absorbed 90% can come out in stool and it could still have a high BV, so you’d have to feed more of a protein. % in diet BV Beef round 9 74 Pecan 9 75 - Why similar BVs, when pecan protein doesn’t have a good a quality as beef due to low digestibility? o Dgtby: % of absorbed protein that's retained Doesn’t affect BV b/c even if you don’t absorb half of the protein due to low dgtby, you’re only interested in how much is absorbed. Thus it doesn’t penalize the protein . Example: Only ~2/3 of the pecan protein is digested and absorbed (other 1/3 ends up in stool) So the amount of pecan protein that's actually absorbed when feeding 9% of diet is 6% (2/3 of 9) Vs. beef which is fully digestible, so when you feed 9% you’re actually absorbing 9% - Taking dgtby into account, it’s like you’re feeding less protein when feeding pecans. This means you’re going to become more efficient at retaining that protein and you’re going to have an artificially high BV o You’re comparing a protein that truly is 9% digested and a bsorbed with a protein that’s only 6% absorbed o If you repeat this experiment and put enough pecan in there so you actually absorb 9%, you would have to feed ~12-13% (2/3 of which is digested and absorbed and that amount getting into the body is the same as the beef round) So you’re comparing two different types of proteins
Image of page 27
Image of page 28

You've reached the end of your free preview.

Want to read all 70 pages?

  • Spring '14
  • Knutson,MitchellD
  • NRG

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern

Stuck? We have tutors online 24/7 who can help you get unstuck.
A+ icon
Ask Expert Tutors You can ask You can ask You can ask (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes
A+ icon
Ask Expert Tutors