93) Social control theory is a macro-level theory of deviance.
94) According to labeling theory, if social controls weaken, people are more likely to become deviant.
95) According to differential association theory, if one does not spend a great deal of time with deviant
friends, the individual may not become deviant.
96) The frustration and anger that can result from being unable to meet common societal goals is known
97) Miriam wanted to be able to own a fancy car, so she attended college and became a physician. She
could then afford to purchase her luxury automobile. Merton would argue that Miriam was using
conformity to adapt to strain.
98) According to Merton, ritualism involves the use of illicit means to reach approved goals.
99) Conflict theorists argue that the greater the inequality in society, the more conflict will exist.
100) Americans are most worried about predatory crimes.
101) According to the text, some forms of white-collar crime are considered victimless.