Answers 1 a z 83 706217 b z 66 706 067 c 9525 d 15 e 9082 f 7996 1666 996 70

Answers 1 a z 83 706217 b z 66 706 067 c 9525 d 15 e

This preview shows page 3 - 5 out of 5 pages.

Answers 1. a. z = (83-70)/6=2.17 b. z = (66-70)/6 = -0.67 c. 95.25% d. 1.5% e. 90.82% f. 79.96 ... 1.66*6 = 9.96 .... 70 + 9.96 = 79.96 g. 56.98...-2.17 * 6 = -13.02 .... 70 - 13.02 = 56.98 h. This observation is 1.64 sd above the mean, which is 1.64 * 6 = 9.84 points, so the score is 79.84 points. i. This observation is 0.77 sd below the mean. (Note 22%ile rank means that 28 % of the observations are between this score and the mean, so you look up .2800 in the body of the table.) So 0.77 * 6 = 4.62 points below the mean. The score is 70 – 4.62 = 65.48 j. The score 60 and 80 are both, conveniently, 10 points below the mean, making this a symmetric problem. You can find the area 10 points above and multiply by 2. The z score for 10 points above the mean is 10/6 = 1.67, which includes 45.25 % of cases. So the total is 45.25% * 2 = 90.5% k. The most extreme 20 percent of cases would be the 10 percent at the bottom end and the 10 percent at the top end, again making this a symmetric problem. The cutoff for the10% tail includes the 40% area, so the associated z score for the value of .4000 is 1.28. Converting this z score to a real score gives us 7.68 units above and below the mean. So the cutoffs are 70 - 7.68 = 62.32 and 77.68.
Image of page 3
2. Area from 45 to 52 Z = (45-52)/ - 8.3 = - 0.84 ... This transforms to 29.95% Area from 52 to 55 Z = (55-52)/8.3 = 0.36 ... This transforms to 14.06% Together, this means 44.01 percent of House districts were competitive. 3. a. Z = (3.5 – 3.2)/1.1 = 0.3/1.1 = 0.27 b . Using table, proportion above z + 0.27 is 0.3936. So 1.000 – 0.3936 = 0.6064. So, with rounding, percentile rank is 60.6% c. z = (2.1 – 3.2)/1.1 = -1.1/1.1 = -1.0
Image of page 4
4. a. Z = (700 – 650)/88 = 50/88 = 0.57 Using table, the percentage above this Z is 28.43 % b. Z score for 600 is same as Z score for 700, but negative. Thus, we know from part a of this problem that 28.43% lies outside of (below) 600 and 28.43 % lies outside of (above) 700, for a total of 56.86 percent outside these two points. Thus, 100% - 56.86% = 43.14% is the answer. c. Use table to find a number in the body of the table close to 25% or 0.2500. Closest is 0.2514, corresponding to a Z score of -0.67. Plug this into Z formula -0.67 = (x – 650)/88 . Solving for x, we get 591.
Image of page 5

You've reached the end of your free preview.

Want to read all 5 pages?

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern

Stuck? We have tutors online 24/7 who can help you get unstuck.
A+ icon
Ask Expert Tutors You can ask You can ask You can ask (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes