2. A 56-year-old man is taking OTC antacids for relief of indigestion. He tells the nurse that he
consumes at least one bottle a week and has done so for more than 1 month because “it works
for me.” The nurse’s main concern is that
3. The nurse associates use of which OTC medication with the development of hepatotoxicity?
4. A patient tells the nurse that he wants to stop taking his antilipemic drugs and start taking
garlic to lower his cholesterol. The nurse’s best reply would be:
“That decision is up to you.”
“You have every right to switch to herbal remedies.”
“You should not go against what the doctor has prescribed for you.”
“Let’s explore the evidence that supports the use of garlic to lower your
1. A patient is receiving Augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanic acid) liquid solution through a
percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube. What is the purpose of the clavulanic acid?
2. Which of the following does the nurse identify as being a concern for patients receiving
3. When completing an admission assessment, the patient states that she is allergic to sulfa
drugs. What will the nurse do next?