20. Spain was united into a single nation-state when
21. In an effort to reach the Indies, Spain looked westward because
22. After his first voyage, Christopher Columbus believed that he had
a. Discovered a New World.b. Failed at what he had set out to do.c. Sailed to the outskirts to the East Indies.d. Sailed around the world.
23.Columbus called the native people in the “New World” Indians because
24. In the new interdependent global economic system that emerged after Columbus’s discovery, Europe provided all of the following except
25. The introduction of American plants around the world resulted in
26. European contact with Native Americans led to
a. The Europeans’ acceptance of the horse into their cultureb. The deaths of millions of Native Americans, who had little resistance to Europeans diseases.c. The introduction into the New World of such plants as potatoes, tomatoes, and beans.
d. An increase in the Native American population.
27. Within a century after Columbus’s landfall in the New World, the Native American
population was reduced by nearly