56. Lewis and Clark were guided by Pocahontas across the Bitterroot Mountains.
57. In the Revolution of 1800, Thomas Jefferson led a coup against the administration of John Quincy
58. Alexander Hamilton shot Aaron Burr in a hunting accident.
59. The Haitian Revolution renewed fears of a slave rebellion in the United States.
60. The Shawnee brothers Tecumseh and Tenskwatawa led the way in promoting Indian adoption of
Chapter 9 Questions
What 1793 invention spurred the rise of the Cotton Kingdom and fueled demand for slaves?
"Slave coffles . . . became a common sight." Define "coffles."
Which of the following destroyed Henry David Thoreau’s commune with nature?
America's first successful factory was established in 1790 by
Ely Whitney at Charleston, South Carolina.
Robert Fulton at Albany, New York.
Samuel Slater at Pawtucket, Rhode Island
Cyrus Hall McCormick at Chicago, Illinois.
For Ralph Waldo Emerson, freedom was
an element of the Second Great Awakening?