stakeholders comply with HIPAA and they do so by conducting surveys and

Stakeholders comply with hipaa and they do so by

This preview shows page 2 - 4 out of 4 pages.

stakeholders comply with HIPAA, and they do so by conducting surveys and interviews of various health care facilities to obtain quality data to evaluate the policy. violations, as a result of non-compliance may have serious consequences to the provider. One of the Quantitative data that may be used to evaluate HIPAA include compliance rates among different health facilities and the amount of violation in percentage amongst the health facilities. In January 2004, a study was conducted
Image of page 2
from a random sampling from a thousand different hospitals in the U.S to identify the progress toward perceived level of compliance with the security standards of HIPAA and a follow up survey was conducted exactly a year from the initial study which resulted in an increased of the use of HIPAA from the 50% return rate. (Having & Davis, 2005). Another study was also conducted by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) based on the status on the compliance of HIPAA. There were 1,140 responses which was about 51% of all hospitals and the study resulted that only 17% reported complete compliance and 12% reporting that they were less than 50% in compliance (Having & Davis, 2016). According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the status of complaints received during 2003 and 2016 are about 137,772. The chart shows that 132,442, which translates to 96% of those complaints have been resolved. The remaining 5,330 that equal 4% are still open and waiting for resolution (HHS, 2016). A qualitative form that can be used for evaluation is reflecting on the current quality of stakeholder engagement. Confidentiality in employment is important regardless if there is a signed or written confidentiality agreement. As a health care professional if expose to confidential information owned by your employer, you should not publicize that confidential information because it put you at risk and it can put your company out of compliance, cause you to lose your job, and the employer can also sue you as the employee for breach of confidentiality, and in extreme circumstances, a breach of confidentiality can result in criminal charges against the employee. According to the Health Information Privacy they issued regulations requiring health care providers, health plans, and other entities covered by HIPAA to notify individuals when their health information is breached. These “breach notification” regulations
Image of page 3
Image of page 4

You've reached the end of your free preview.

Want to read all 4 pages?

  • Fall '14
  • Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture