Constructivism as a learning theory:
- Explain how learning happens
o Constructivist Theory of how learning happens:
• Better theory, or lens, for thinking about how a student might internalize an idea.
• Learners are not black slates but rather creators of their own learning
• John Dewey said, “We don’t learn from experience, we learn from reflection on experience.”
• Assimilation – new piece of knowledge adds into what you already know
• Accommodation- new piece of knowledge is grained but brain must make room/adjust prior knowledge to fit in.
• Students make have the same knowledge but they categorize it or connect this knowledge differently.
• Book: Construction of ideas occurs when an emerging idea, one that is being constructed. Whatever existing ideas are used in the construction will be connected to the new ideas because those were the ideas that gave meaning to it.
Vocabulary for TE 331. Find, create, and access Sandra Has, George has4, flashcards with Course Hero.
Define "psychology" and identify some of its major subfields.
The scientific study of behavior (directly observable responses) and mind (internal, subjective states and processes).
Clinical Psychology - the study and teatment of mental disorders.
Cognitive Psychology - study of mental processes, especially from a model that views mind as information processor (like a computer).
Biopsychology - biological underpinnings of behavior.
Developmental Psychology - physical, psychological, social development across lifespan
Experimental Psychology - basic processes such as learning, sensory systems, perception, motivation.
Industrial Psychology - study of behavior in workplace.
Personality Psychology - study of personality.
Social Psychology - thoughts, feelings, behavior in social world.
PSYCH 002 Midterm 1 (Study Guide)
Vocabulary for PSYCH 002 Midterm 1 (Study Guide). Find, create, and access Psychology, Fluid Intelligence, Wechsler Adult Intelligence flashcards with Course Hero.