BIO106 Roese - Study Guide Chapter 6
6.1 Cells and the Flow of Energy
A. Forms of Energy
1. Energy is capacity to do work; cells continually use energy to develop, grow, repair, reproduce,
2. Kinetic energy is energy of motion; all moving objects hav
BIO106 Roese - Study Guide Chapter 5
5.1 Plasma Membrane Structure and Function
A. Components of the Plasma Membrane
The plasma membrane is a phospholipid bilayer with embedded proteins and cholesterol.
Phospholipids are amphipathic molecules, havin
BIO106 Roese - Study Guide Chapter 4
4.1 Cellular Level of Organization
1. Cells are the basic unit of life.
2. Detailed study of the cell began in the 1830s; some of the scientists contributing to the
understanding of cell structure and function were Rob
BIO106 Roese - Study Guide Chapter 2
2.1 Chemical Elements
1. Matter is defined as anything that takes up space and has mass.
2. Matter exists in three states: solid, liquid, and gas.
1. All matter (both living and non-living) is composed of 9