Intrusion Detection and Intrusion Prevention
Dr. Stephen Gantz, CISSP-ISSAP, CEH, CRISC, CIPP/G, C|CISO
You are to take this test during the week of October 26 November 1, 2015. Work alone. You
may not confer w
Page 1 of 3
Session 4: Introducing SnortSession Objectives
Revisit and augment our understanding of various uses of IDSes.
Introduce the IDS tool Snort, including its development history and current status.
Understand the four primary syste
Session 2: Network-Based Intrusion Detection
1. Understand the basics of network-based IDS architecture.
2. Learn how intrusion detection systems operate on network traffic.
3. Delve further into network-based IDS in terms of the major
Session 3: Host-Based Intrusion Detection
1. Understand the basics of host-based IDS architecture.
2. Learn what types of threats host intrusion detection systems are intended to detect.
3. Introduce relevant event sources, actions, and
Page 1 of 5
Session 8: Proactive Intrusion Prevention and Response
Become familiar with different types of intrusion detection signatures.
Understand the correlation between signatures and the rules used to detect them.