Functionalism- for social cohesion, expresses and enhances beliefs, enforces morality,
vouches for rituals, guides men
- Odyssey- family, pride, xenia, women, glory, piety, women as objects and lustful
creatures, social behavior
- Aeneid- piety, duty, wom
o Stories should serve social unity
o Functionalism- how social structure works, how to create sense of cultural
o Myths are more PRACTICAL than fun. We behave logically.
o Advice relating to growth of Telemachus, maintenan
Nurse Caieta ~ Eurycleia
- Move from periphery to the center. Awareness of hero, reassertion of control after
- Movement from Troy to Italy transition from boyhood to manhood
- Od. nameless mythic sp
- Myth in Primary Psychology Malinowski p. 101
o Expresses, enhances and codifies belief
o Protects and enforces morality
o Vouches for efficacy of ritual
o Practical rules for guidance of man
- Odyssey fundamentally concerned with how socie
how deeply myth enters into Melanesian pursuits and how it controls moral+social
myth = daydream of race, dive deep into subconscious - psychoanalytic exegesis
myth in primitive form is a reality lived, not just a story
governs faith, controls co
Oh Brother Where Art Trou- Odyssey
Clash of the Titans
People have tended to deemphasize the role of gods to their peril
o Product of Christianitys effect on classical tradition
Virgil a model for other poems
1. characters - parts of mind. Freud- id, ego, superego. These can change.
2. Interaction of characters/parts of mind. which part is dominant when?
3. psychological narrative - tendency for Ego to rule with balance of Id and Superego?
4. if control/balanc