Equilibria under Selection
Understand effects of overdominance (heterozygote advantage):
maintenance of alleles with deleterious phenotypes.
The yeast life cycle facilitates analysis of meiosis
In addition, the phenotype
of the diploid cell tells us
Effects of Selection on Allele and Genotype Frequencies
Additional Consequences of Random Mating
Chapter 17.2, 17.4, 17.6
Calculate changes in allele frequency due to selection
Section Test 2 is 6:30 pm Monday Sept 22.
It covers Lectures 6-10, HW 3 & 4.
Dr. Lopez will be there;
I still think I will be in Brazil.
2 questions, 4 pages (+1), 50 points
You will get over 80% if you can write down
your HW answers.
43 points are just l
Quiz 1: 42-101
1. Which of the following bonds is NOT useful in a majority of physiology (1 points)?
a. Covalent bond
c. Ionic bond
b. Hydrogen bond
d. Metallic bond
2. Match the macromolecule with a higher order structure (2 points)
Quiz 2: 42-101
1. Which bacteria is NOT difficult to treat with antibiotics (1 points)?
a. antibiotic resistant bacteria
c. bacteria in a biofilm
b. bacteria with EPS
d. planktonic bacteria
2. Match the equation with the type of mechanical work (2
Quiz 3: 42-101
1. Which is NOT true of f (1 points)?
c. f is the fraction of bound receptors
d. f is the fraction of bound ligand
2. Define recombinant (1 points)
re-combined DNA or proteins that wouldnt be found together
3.Match the expressi
Quiz 4: 42-101
1. Is this plasmid for expression of protein in bacteria
or mammalian cells?
2. List one way that you know.
CMV promoter or Poly A or SV40
(or Neo or Myc)
3. Do we make more of the plasmid DNA in bacteria
or in mammal
Quiz 5: 42-101
1. Identify the type of stem cell (not all choices will have an answer) (2 points)
(P) Pluripotent, (M) Multipotent, (O) Oligopotent, (U) Unipotent
_none_ Is incapable of division but can bud into smaller portions
Introduction to Biomedical Engineering
Question 1. List the following molecules in order of INCREASING radius of gyration. Be sure to
number them 1 5 where 1 is the SMALLEST and 5 is the LARGEST (5 point
1. What a the SI unit of stress and strain (1 po
a. Pa and m
c Pam and m
b. Pa/ and nothin
d Pa and noth
these tissues from stiffest to softest (2 points)
2. Order t
Same vs different genes:
Interactions between two different genes:
Interactions between alleles of one gene:
- Incomplete dominance, codominance
- Multiple alleles
Genes can govern several phenotypes (pleiotrop