Sociology 350: Social Psychology of Marriage
Instructor: Kimber Hendrix, M.S.
Email: [email protected] (Please allow 24 hours for a reply), Do NOT email me via
Office: Stone 340 Desk #9
Thinking about the Baby: Reading Questions
1. Why do mothers experience more martial dissatisfaction after the birth of their first child?
2. What are the three type of mental labor associated with raising children? What are the
gender differences in how
The way we werent Reading Questions
1. Name three distinguishing aspects of the 19th century family. Then describe why this era
supported these aspects.
a. White middle class families become less patriarchal and more child-centered
emergence of the wage-
The Time Squeeze : Reading Questions
1. What were the differences in the way time was used by African American families and
2. How did age make a difference in the way parents feel about using time (specifically
older parents vs younger
The Cost of Kids: Reading Questions
1. What is the cost of raising a child for a middle-income two parent family in 1960, 2000, and
2. How has the amount spend on food and clothing changed from 1960 to the early 2000s?
3. What cost has increase the
Nickel and Dimed Questions
1. What are the odds that a welfare receiver would be able to find a job that would earn
them a living wage?
2. Why was the author continuously directed into waitressing work?
3. In this reading, what were some examples of ways
Mother and Daughters
1. What does the author mean by doing family?
2. What are the differences in the interactions and strength of the relationship between
paternal grandparents and materal grandparents and their grandchildren?
3. How does the social exch
Men who do and Men who dontReading Questions
1. What were the experiences of fathers that helped more in their family of origin that
differed from fathers that did not help?
2. Stat e the differences between earning of the men in relationship to their wiv
Making Ends Meet on a Welfare Check
1. What are the stereotypes associated with women on welfare? Based on the discussions of
other stereotypes associated with marriage and family discussed in this class, how could
these stereotypes be problematic?
Living Poor Reading Questions
1. In the context of this article, explain Hannerz critique of the structural argument when he
said, It was made to look as if every couple were left on its own to work out anew a
solution to problems which have confronted ma
How History and Sociology Can Help Todays Families Reading Questions
1. How can history and sociology can todays families?
2. What has changed historically that has affected the work experiences of youth today?
3. How did the male experience differ from t
How Duel are Duel Income Couples? Reading Questions
1. What are MEDS? Describe.
2. What factors counteract the influence of womens advancement in employment patterns?
3. What happens to parent wages when their first child is born?
4. What are the differen
How Do I Love Thee? Reading Questions
1. What are the main differences between eharmony.com, and chemistry.com, and
2. Thinking about the last readings that described arranged marriages, compare the services
of these internet dating site
Housework in Marital and Nonmarital Households Reading Questions
1. What are the three theoretical perspectives used in this theory? Describe each.
2. What trumps these perspectives at explaining variance in household labor and why?
3. What is doing gende
Historical Trends in Childlessness
1. What were reasons given in the book for childlessness?
2. Why are levels of childlessness more of a concern now then they have been in the past?
3. What is fecundity? What percent of the population (on average) suffer
Exiles from Kinship
1. What did the article say Blanche Wiesen Cook meant she called representations of gay
people, the assumption that gay people do not love and do not work?
2. Positioning gays and lesbians _the family puts them in a position to invade,
Re-examining the Social Construction of Elder Abuse and Neglect A Canadian Perspective
1. Why is compulsory retirement detrimental to older people?
2. What is the only form appropriate form of help for older people? Why? And why are they
not using this
Diverse Forms of Family Life Merit Recognition
1. Out of 100 million households in the United States, how many consist of single people?
2. Out of 100 million households in the United States, how many can be considered the
3. What was
Updated Reading List 3/25/2011
Movie PROJECT 2 ASSIGNED
IN: Walzer- Thinking About the Baby
IN: Rowland-Historical Trends in Childlessness
IN: Carr-The Cost of Kids
IN: Coleman-Families a