The Path of Athens
The Path of Athens (c. 600 BCE)
Geography - Athens comparatively has more arable land than other Greek city states - Land hunger less of a pressing problem Rising economic prosperity - Growing economic class clamori
Other Cities Face Land Hunger
Rising populations throughout the Greek world Overseas colonization as a solution - Corinth - Syracuse (Sicily)
- Miletus - The Black Sea - The influence of `The Age of Heroes'
This is Sparta!
- The importance of geography - Remembrance of the `Age of Heroes' - Menelaus
The Spartan Polis
2 Hereditary kings: Military leaders
The apella: Assembly of all able bodied Spartan warriors (homoioi = equals)
Archaic Greece (c. 850-700 BCE)
- The "Dark Ages" - Most of the hallmarks of Classical Greek culture originate here
- Massive depopulation at the end of the Bronze Age - Occupation sites 13th (320) 12th (130)
- 9th century economic recovery - Reope