A. Flinders Petrie (1853-1942)
1. Achievements in Egypt, 1880-1890.
a. excavated many cites, including
Tell el-Amarna, capital of pharaoh Akhnenaton.
mortuary temple of Merneptah at Thebes.
b. found the Merneptah Stela =
The Omri Kings of Israel
1. Solomon died, nd Judah and Israel split
2. The Davidic dynasty ruled only in Judah
3. The Omride dynasty in Israel
a. Omri, 885-73
b. Ahab, 873-51
c. Ahaziah, 851-849
d. Jehoram/Joram, 849-841
4. The Jehu Dy
The Biblical Picture of Israelite Religion
Hebrew Bible = main literary source of information about the religion of ancient Israelites. It
- Laws regulating religion (Exodus-Deuteronomy)
- Stories depicting religion (Genesis-Kings; Chronicles,
The Arad Temple
1. Biblical Arad = Tel Arad, ca. 20 miles east of Beersheba; excavated by Y.
Aharoni and Israelis, 1962-67
2. Arad= an Israelites/Judean fortress ca. 950-586 (Str. XI-VI)
3. Arad Temple in corner of fortress
a. First built in 10th century
A. The location of Solomons temple?
1. Davids city on the Ophel in Jerusalem
2. Solomons temple on top of the hill just north of Davids city (see present
day Hara esh-Sharif)
3. Top of hill was rounded and narrow. So, a broad platform had t
Settlement of the Philistines
A. Sources of evidence
1. Hebrew Bible (esp. 1 & 2 Sam)
2. Records of Ramses III (ca. 1180- 1150)
i. Inscriptions and reliefs at Medinet Habu (in ancient Thebes)
ii. Harris Papyrus I
3. Excavations of Philistines strata in Pa
Qumran and the Dead Sea Scrolls
A. historical context: Palestine ca 200BCE-70CE
a. Seleucid kings (Greek kings ruling form Syria) Dominated Palestine?
5. Variety in Jud before 65 CE: various sects/movements
Nazarenes = (Christians
High Places in Ancient Israel
1. The Hebrew Bible often condemns Israelite and Judean kings for promoting
worship at/on high places. This polemic reflects?
2. What was a high place exactly? The Hebrew word id bamah (in the plural,
bamoth and high place ma
Egyptian Domination of Palestine
A. Thutmose III (ca. 1480-1435 BCE)
16 military campaigns into Palestine and Syria.
B. Amon-hotep II (ca. 1435-1420)
3 campaigns into Palestine and Syria.
C. The Amarna period (ca. 1400-1350 BCE)
Reigns of ph
Cult Stand from Tanaach
1. The stand dates approximately to the 10th century BCE.
2. It is about two feet tall, made of clay, square in shape, hollow, and open at the base.
3. The stand has four levels or registers, like a four-story shrine. (Clay model
The Sanctuary at Tel Dan
1. Tel Dan has been excavated by A. Biran and the Israelites since 1966
2. Findings: high place sanctuary, ca. 900-700 BCE
a. Temenos = low wall marking off sacred area (ca. acre)
b. A platform (called by Biran a bamah)
i. Cut lim