African American Studies Questions to Review
1. Chattel was the term used to refer:
2. The legal process used by some Northern states to eliminate slavery:
3. The informal network that enslaved Africans used to escape to the N
1. Describe Pierre Delacroix. In what ways does his privilege and
oppression work against him in the workplace?
Pierre Delacroix is a Harvard University- educated black male with a
Francophone accent. He works at a televis
White Supremacy Triumphs
Ida Wells Barnett
Journalist, agitator, and reformer
Sued railroad for being removed from first class car and won $500 settlement
Bought 1/3 interest in Memphis Free Speech and Headlight
Wrote about racial issues
Religion and Religious Practices and Traditions
Define religion and list some of the major African American religious traditions.
- Religion is the thought, belief and practice concerned with the
transcendent and the ultimate questions of life. The religi
Discuss critically the contentions of the traditional psychologists presented.
- Kenneth Clark argues that social (white) insensitivity is a protective
device and criticizes some of its primitive examples, such as the labeling
Race and Class Controversy
Discuss the race/class controversy.
- The community must grasp the character of the oppression and the
theoretical and practical requirements necessary to end it. The question of
race has become even more pressing in the context
Promise of Reconstruction
Joined hundreds of black and white teachers who migrated to South during and after the
Civil War to instruct freed people.
Opened Penn school (SC sea islands) as part of the Port Royal Experiment.
Political Coalitions of Blacks
What is politics? Discuss some of its core concepts.
- Politics is the art and process of gaining, maintaining and using power to
create and sustain a just and good society and world. Some of the core
concepts of politics ar
Important People in African American History
Robert C. Weaver
Nations first Black Cabinet member
First US Secretary of Housing and Urban Development 1966-1968
Directed federal programs during the New Deal
Mary Mcleod Bethune
Leader of the Black Cabinet
Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education ( 17 May 1954), Chief Justice: Earl Warren
Landmark unanimous decision by Warren court (9-0) that separate but equal
was inherently unequal
Reversed Plessey vs. Ferguson of 1896 for state founded separation
Black Economic Disadvantages
Discuss the data of black economic disadvantage.
- Blacks experience a lower economic status throughout the income
distribution. In general, blacks who are well-off are much less well-off
than rich whites. There is a relativel
African Americans in the 1920s
The Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters
Pullman companyowned and operated passenger railroad coaches
Single/ largest employer of black people in the US
Black employees were paid less than white workers
Black men with college
African Americans and Literature
What is the black aesthetic and what are the two schools which developed around
the issue. Discuss their views.
- The black aesthetic is a distinctive mode of artistic expression and a distinctive
standard by which black a