296. Feli is a young adult who has been asleep for three hours. As he continues to sleep, we
can expect that
A) NREM-2 sleep will diminish and that NREM-1 sleep will increase in duration.
B) NREM-3 sleep will diminish and that NREM-1 sleep will increase i
360. As drug users experience neuroadaptation, they demonstrate signs of
B) a near-death experience.
361. Which process most clearly underlies the development of drug tolerance?
B) REM slee
128. Prior to age 9, children's dreams seem more like a slide show and less like an active
story in which the dreamer is an actor. This best illustrates that the content of dreams
A) latent content.
B) melatonin levels.
C) night terror
169. After two years of regularly smoking cigarettes, Lynette is preparing to quit. Which of
the following symptoms of nicotine withdrawal is she most likely to experience when
she first discontinues smoking?
C) diminished appetit
20. Identical twins are most likely to share a similar prenatal environment if they share the
B) adaptive capacity.
21. Dante is healthier than his twin brother because he developed with a better placental
22. A capacity to monitor simultaneously the color, shape, and motion of a flying kite best
A) the popout phenomenon.
B) parallel processing.
C) the cocktail party effect.
D) change blindness.
23. Focusing conscious awareness on a particular s
234. Chronic sleep deprivation is most likely to contribute to
A) weight loss.
B) increased creativity.
C) suppression of the immune system.
D) decreased blood pressure.
235. Those who complain of insomnia typically _ how long it actually takes them to
2. Since 1960, psychology has regained an interest in consciousness as psychologists of all
persuasions began affirming the importance of
A) evolutionary psychology.
B) choice blindness.
3. Consciousness is defined as
85. People who regularly sleep less than normal experience a(n) _ risk of
depression and a(n) _ risk of gaining weight.
A) decreased; decreased
B) increased; increased
C) decreased; increased
D) increased; decreased
86. Sleep deprivation increases levels
41. When working an occasional night shift, people often feel groggiest in the middle of the
night but experience new energy around the time they normally would wake up. This
best illustrates the impact of
A) sleep apnea.
B) memory consolidation.
C) the c
189. THC, the active ingredient in _, is classified as a _.
A) marijuana; hallucinogen
B) marijuana; stimulant
C) cocaine; stimulant
D) cocaine; hallucinogen
190. Unlike alcohol, the THC in marijuana
A) acts as a disinhibitor.
B) impairs motor coordinatio
163. The body structures that enable reproduction are the
A) primary sex characteristics.
B) secondary sex characteristics.
C) gender schemas.
D) adrenal glands.
164. The first appearance of secondary sex characteristics is most likely to be associated wi
63. Genital arousal is most likely to be associated with
A) sleep apnea.
B) REM sleep.
C) NREM-3 sleep.
D) sleep spindles.
64. During REM sleep, your skeletal muscles are relaxed because messages from the motor
cortex are blocked by the
275. Research on sleep and dreaming fails to confirm that
A) the use of sleeping pills reduces REM sleep.
B) increased genital arousal accompanies dreaming regardless of whether the dream's
content is sexual.
C) when dreaming of performing an activity, ou
106. Particularly among men, sleep apnea is linked with
A) night terrors.
107. An air pump that keeps the sleeper's airway open and breathing regular is often
prescribed for serious cases of
211. Staying up especially late on weekends is most likely to have an influence on
B) sleep apnea.
C) the circadian rhythm.
D) night terrors.
212. Alpha waves are associated with
A) NREM-2 sleep.
B) NREM-3 sleep.
C) REM sleep.
D) a relaxed
339. According to Freud, people dream in order to
A) give expression to personally threatening drives and wishes.
B) prepare themselves for the challenges of the following day.
C) strengthen their memories of the preceding day's events.
D) accomplish all
148. Depressants are drugs such as
A) marijuana and LSD.
B) barbiturates and opiates.
C) nicotine and caffeine.
D) cocaine and amphetamines.
149. The reckless aggressive behavior that may follow alcohol consumption best illustrates
that alcohol may act as
254. A person is able to accurately point to the current location of certain moving objects that
she is unable to consciously see. This best illustrates
A) inattentional blindness.
B) the popout phenomenon.
C) selective attention.
184. Mr. Eskenazi frowns when his son cries but hugs his daughter when she cries. Mr.
Eskenazi's contribution to the gender typing of his children would most likely be
A) Freudian psychology.
B) social learning theory.
C) cultural neuroscie
143. In laboratory experiments, men have been found to be _ willing than women to
blast people with what they believed was intense and prolonged noise. Outside the
laboratory they have been found to be _ willing than women to support war.
A) more; less
61. Inherited trait variations contributing to reproduction and survival are highly likely to be
passed on to succeeding generations. This best illustrates
A) adaptive flexibility.
B) a social script.
C) natural selection.
D) social learning theory.
248. Because he believes that crying is a feminine trait, 14-year-old George has difficulty
admitting that a movie makes him tearful. His experience best illustrates the impact of
A) sex chromosomes.
C) gender schemas.
D) culture shock.
291. The impact of genes on observable traits can vary in different environments. Thus,
genes are said to be
292. Epigenetics is the study of environmental influences on _ that occur witho
41. One form of a gene that regulates the neurotransmitter serotonin contributes to the
A) organic methyl molecules.
B) identical twins.
C) a fearful temperament.
42. To estimate trait heritability, behavior geneticists ar
270. Identical twins reared apart have _ similar personalities than identical twins
reared together and _ similar personalities than fraternal twins reared apart.
A) more; more
B) less; less
C) more; less
D) less; more
271. Studies of identical twins who
My Visit to a Hindu Temple
My first and unforgettable experience in a Hindu temple was at the BAPS Shri
Swaminarayan Mandir in Houston is the first traditional Hindu Mandir of its kind in North
America. It's a haven for spirituality and a pl