MONDAY June 9, 2014
Standard Deviation- reported with the mean to show central tendency and variability M = 40 +/3.5
Sum of Squares- the sum of the deviations of values from the mean is always 0
- The sum of the squared deviations is called the sum
Healthcare Stats 620 Quiz 3
Monday June 16, 2014
Binary variables 0/1 coding to make the variables numerical
- Allows for relative frequency reporting (a binary mean = attribute/sample size)
- Variance = product of proportions with and without the measure
How are factors related?
What is the strength of the relationship?
What is the direction of the relationship?
Incidence and prevalence is the first diagnostic step in diagnosing someone
- Is there a difference (association) between populations or not?
- Dont tell you about the size of the difference
o Confidence intervals give us a sense of size of the difference
o The amount of difference matters
- Uses correlation between 2 variables and the concept of a straight line to provide
you with a prediction equation
- Explanatory and predictive
- Allows you to account for/predict the variance in a DV based on the IV
o Explains relation
Healthcare Stats- 10:00-12:00
Monday, June 2, 2014
How to handle doubt and uncertainty create a range of values
Statistical Thinking: thought processes that recognize that variation is present in all phenomena
and that the study of variation
Monday July 7, 2014
Issues with Statistical Tests
One sided vs two sided tests
- All statistical tests may have one sided rejection
- Two sided = alternative hypothesis is different in either di