Of One Blood- Pauline Hopkins
Reuel can pass in America as white, and its necessary for him to
do so. Is Reuels choice to go back to Africa at the end a choice
to embrace his African roots or was it destiny?
This privileges identity with blackness eithe
Anzia Yezierska Short Stories
- Stories are rich with dialogue and low with narration/ description
- Power of speech validated in her writing
- Born 1881 on Poland/ Russia border
- From an Orthodox Jewish family, emigrated from Europe fleeing anti-semitis
Class Notes- Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man AND Ethan Frome
James Weldon Johnson, Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man (1912)
- Text saying that you cannot be a black male in the United States, it is literally deadly
- About the psychological efect of r
Class Notes on the Realism Period: Intro to American Realism
o Period of great immigration and migration, womens rights and suffrage, huge chasm between
the rich and the poor
o Term robber baron is hatched
o U.S. is an expansionist imperial powe
International Theme - on a United States / European axis.
-expatriate theme with Italy
What is representative as American? How is America/Americans represented in this book?
- young and innocent, but also rebellious. Much like the country its
Charlotte Perkins Gillman- The Yellow Wallpaper
A feminist text:
main character has a complete lack of autonomy over her life. The
only place she has autonomy is in her own mind.
critique of biological science - the root of the word hysteria is
W.E.B. DuBois: The Souls of Black Folk
- it was not popular at the time but was received really well in intellectual circles and has been one of the most important American texts.
- Written at a time of explicit, BLATANT antiblack racist ideology -public
Zitkala-Sa: Short Stories
What is the historical context re: Native Americans? And why do we
know so little about this history?
Assimilation Era (1880 - 1934)
history of a centuries-long invasion and domination. Lurching, schizophrenic ideas about solut
Kate Chopin: The Awakening
Begins with a beautiful animal in a cage. Mr. Pontellier can ignore
it when it ceases to be entertaining.
Mr. Ponteillier can come and go as he pleases. Sets up a dynamic
of male and female gender roles/capabilities.
Charles Chesnutt - The Conjure Woman
Chesnutt is writing in the time of the popular genre of plantation
white author, white narrator, black uncle storyteller.
Chesnutt does this, but he is a black author. This is a way
of mastery of for
Maria Cristina Mena - Collected Stories
Mena was born in 1893 in Mexico City but moved to NYC at age
14. At age 20 she began to write short stories focusing on Mexican issues and womens issues.
1913-1916 - published in magazines mainly for white audienc
Upton Sinclair - The Jungle
Important Ammons facts:
First published in serial format in 1905 to show the inferno of exploitation of the working class.
Most readers ignored this element of the story and instead focused on the conditions in the meatpackin
BIRTH OF A NATION - D. W. Griffith
First half is much more subtle - a story to draw the audience in.
Presented as a historical timeline but obviously a lot of the history isnt true.
Is this effective in reaching its audience?
There were a lot of times