1. As of the 2010 Census, "less than 7 percent of all
heterosexual married couples" in the United States were
interracial. (34) At the same time, around 14 percent of gay
and lesbian couples were interracial. The percent of gay and
lesbian interracial cou
1. Conventional wisdom tells us that the emotional rewards of having
children are fewest during the "full-nest" stage and greatest during the
"empty-nest" stage of parenthood. What do studies based on recent national
1. Studies show that the
1. How prevalent is tattooing in America? How is prevalence related to age and
1. Tattooing has become increasingly prevalent in American as 15 percent of the
U.S. adult population has tattoos, where as the figure rises to 28 percent for adults
The authors identify four (4) basic types of genocide based on the rationale and
objectives of the perpetrators. Briefly identify and explain each type, in your own
words and with specific reference to the article.
Convenience Convenience genocide is base
1. While disparities in racial profiling indicated by search practices have decreased
in many states, racial profiling has continued to be a problem in Missouri. What does
the most recent data cited in this article (for 2007) show?
1. The most recent data
1. What do you think about the way the author introduced this article, with the story
of Ronny being called in for a job interview? How did recounting the story set the
stage for what would follow?
1. The way in which the author introduced the article was
"You Just Don't Understand": Women and Men in Conversation
1. This article describes the ways that men and women tend to communicate differently in
conversation. What differences does the author perceive?
Deborah Tannen proposes that men and wo
1. This study shows that people will be obedient to authority figures even if what the authority
wants them to do is morally wrong. In the study, there are many reasons which attempt to explain
why this is the case. One reason is that people be
The Role of Media Violence in Violent Behavior
1. Summarize the evidence indicating that exposure to violence in television and film
tends to stimulate aggressive and violent behavior in children.
The text favors the position that exposure to v
Socialization Agents and Activities of Young Adolescents:
1. What was the purpose of the study, and what were some of its major findings in regard
The purpose of this study was to analyze adolescent behavior, see how they spen
1. Risman believes that gender consists of many different theoretical
perspectives. The first perspective is the sex-role theory that says "men
and women behave differently because gender resides primarily in
personality" (2). This argument sug
How the Media Keeps us Hung Up on Body Image
1. What is the "makeover industry" and how, according to this article, does it profit at the
expense of women and their bodies?
The makeover industry is any profession that attempts to make people lo
The circumstances under which role expectations DO NOT help to structure social interactions.
Give an example.
Though the role theory explains that people conform to norms defined by the expectations of
others, it doesnt hold true for deviant behavior in
Soc Assignment Due Nov 10
1. How does trust develop in relationships? What role does self-disclosure play?
Trust develops after two individuals spend enough time together and eventually develop a
reciprocal liking. To build trust, one questions the partne