All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedo
Country Report and Class Presentation
For this paper, you will choose one of the worlds countries and write a report on the major
human rights issues there. Be sure to consider both social/economic rights as well as
civil/political ones. Keep in mind that
Human Rights and Wrongs
TTh 11:15-12:30Bartlett Hall 109
Professor Lauren McCarthy
Office: 438 Thompson Hall
Email: [email protected]
Course Webpage: moodle.umass.edu
Office Phone: (413) 545-1991
Office Hours: Wednesdays 2:00-4:
Discussion Questions: What are Human Rights?
1) Which human rights do you consider to be most fundamental? Rank your top five and bring them
to class for discussion.
2) What types of human rights violations do you consider most heinous? Why?
3) Should the
Discussion Questions: Universal Declaration of Human Rights
1) What purpose can a non-binding declaration such as the UDHR serve?
2) How would the UDHR be different if it were binding?
3) In what ways is this declaration universal? In what ways is it not?
Discussion Questions: Universal Jurisdiction and the ICC
1) Is universal jurisdiction an effective way to pursue human rights violators? Should there be any
limitations on when and where it should apply?
2) Is the International Criminal Court an effective