Digestion & Absorption
- The process of breaking food into components small enough to be absorbed
The Gastrointestinal Tract
- Mouth anus
- Accessory organs: salivary glands, liver, pancreas, gallbladder
Carbohydrates - carbon + water
- composed of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, 1:2:1 ratio
- soluble in water and contain usable energy
- 4 calories per gram
Simplest CHO are monosaccharides
- Mono = 1
- Saccharide = Sugar
- found in f
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) Two forces produce equal torques on a door about the door hinge. The rst force is applied at
the midpoint of the door; the second force is
Zachery Houser & Devon Hewins
A. Parietal cell: found in the lining of the stomach produces HCl
B. Gastrin: gastric hormone released from walls of stomach that stimulates the
release of HCl and pepsinogen
C. Microvilli: hair like proj
B6, Riboflavin, thiamin 1.3-1.5mg
Vit C 75-90 mg
Vit D 600IU
Vitamin A Retinol
- As Retinol
o Teratogenic in high doses birth defects
o Retoneil polmotate
o Added to milk in this form
(10 pts) Refer to the figure to the right
Circle 8r label (using numbers) I
1. the amine group in glycine
,4 2. the acid group in phenylalanine
3. the peptide bond in the dipeptide
4a. and 4b. the “R” groups in both glycine & phenylalanine pheny
Matching. 1 pt each, 36 pts total
Put the appropriate letter in the blank. All letters will be used more than once.
1. D Involved in carboxylation reactions (INCREASE carbon chain length).
2. f: Needed for synthesis of red blood cells AND m
2. In problem 1, what percentage of calories are derived from fat? %
1. What is the total energy content of a serving of rice and chicken that contains 12 grams of fat, 6
March 9, 2015
Nutrition 230 Homework 2
Professor Melissa Brown
Digestion: Begins in the mouth, the lingual lipase start the breakdown of a triglyceride, when the it reaches the
stomach, the gastric lipase breaks down th
DRI Daily Recommended Intake
- Four Parts
o EAR estimated average requirement
Amount required for 50% of people
Based on functional indicators of optimal health
o RDA Recommended Dietary Allowance
Amount that meets needs of most healthy people in life
Quiz on Chapters 1 & 2:
1. The first listed ingredient on a food label is the ingredient in the food present
in the highest quantity as measured by weight.
2. The Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) of a nutrient is the level at which most
1. Using the mnemonic provided in class, what are normal serum levels of
total cholesterol, triglycerides, LDLs and HDLs?
Total Serum Cholesterol levels: <200 mg/dl
Serum Triglyceride levels: <150 mg/dl
Serum LDL Levels: <100 mg/dl
Serum HDL Levels: >
1. Briefly define the following terms in your own words:
a. Parietal cell: Parietal cells are found in the stomach lining. They are
responsible for making hydrochloric acid and intrinsic factors. They
also play a role in vitamin b12 absorption.
Dietary sources of phospholipid : egg yolk, soy products
where are lipids: cell membrane
What enzyme cleaves the 2 position of the phospholipid?
- Phospholipase A2
What fatty acid is most often in the 2-position?
- Arachidonic acid
Family of lipids
1. Be able to identify the organs important in the digestive tract. Know what
the organs are responsible for specific actions.
Mouth, esophagus, SI, pancreas, liver
2. Be able to identify enzymes important in digestion.
salivary amylase, pepsin,
3. Know t
Exam 2 Review
What is this type of lipid?
Dietary sources? Egg yolk, soy products, shellfish, animal meats
Where are these lipids found in the body? Cell membranes