Chapter 5 Assignment
1. Name the components of a von Neumann machine and describe their functions.
The components of a von Neumann machine are input devices, CPU, main memory, and
output devices. The input devices fetch the next instruction, make a copy o
Chapter 3 Assignment
Page 274 Section 6.1
2. There are 30 dinners at Kays Quick Lunch consisting of one appetizer, one main
course, and an optional beverage. This is because there are 2 appetizers, 3 main courses,
and 5 drink options (no drink is the 5th option added to t
Page 86 Section 2.2
2. In exercise 1, it is explained that x = p/q, which means that x^2 = p^2 / q^2. The
converse of this says that x = q/p, which means that x^2 = q^2 / p^2. This is true.
5. For this, we need a proof by contradiction. First we assum
Page 132 Section 3.1
2. This is not a function because 2 is not assigned a unique element in Y.
3. This is a function. Its domain is X and its range is Y. It is both one-to-one and onto Y.
The inverse function as a set of ordered pairs
Page 20 Section 1.2
2. Yes, 6 + 9 = 15 is a proposition. Its negation would be 6 + 9 != 15 (or 6 plus 9 is not
equal to 15).
3. x + 9 = 15 is not a proposition.
6. Yes, this is a proposition. Its negation would be Audrey Meadows was not the
1. Describe all activities that must occur in order to produce a Risk Mitigation,
Monitoring, and Management Plan. (10 points)
The activities that must occur in order to produce a risk mitigation, monitoring, and
management plan are:
1. List the roles that need to be distributed among the WebE team members. (10
The roles that need to be distributed among the members of the Web Engineering
Content developers/providers In this role, focus on the generation and or
1. List the four design models required for a complete specification of a software
design and the role of each. (10 points)
The four design models required for complete specification of a software design are:
Complete and sufficient. This states that a d
1. What are the names of the six levels of the SEI Capability Maturity Model
Integration (CMMI)? In your own words, briefly describe each. (10 points)
The six levels of the SEI Capability Maturity Model Integration are:
Level 0: Incomplete. At this level,
1. The IP address of the client computer that is transferring the file is 192.168.1.102,
and the port used is 1161.
2. The IP address of gaia.cs.umass.edu is 22.214.171.124, and the port it is
sending/receiving TCP segments for this connection is port 80.
9.3 Other than large storage capacity, storage area networks provide improved
availability and access, reduced downtime, and increased data security. They also provide
fast data access (since they are directly connected to servers through fiber), and the
1. Three binary digits are required to define eight subnets.
2. Specify the extended-network-prefix that allows the creation of 8 subnets.
/19 or 255.255.224.0
3. Express the subnets in binary format and dotted decimal notation:
6.4 SMTP uses port 25.
6.11 HTTP uses port 80.
6.12 The five key services provided by SIP are user location, user availability, user
capabilities, session setup, and session management.
6.13 The major component in a SIP network are:
Exercise 9.5 Consider a disk with a sector size of 512 bytes, 2,000 tracks per surface,
50 sectors per track, 5 double sided platters, and average seek time of 10 msec.
1. What is the capacity of a track in bytes? What is the capacity of each surface?
1. Find the name of all Juniors (level = JR) who are enrolled in a class taught by I.
SELECT DISTINCT S.Sname
FROM Student S, Class C, Enrolled E, Faculty F
WHERE S.snum = E.snum
AND E.cname = C.name
AND C.fid = F.fid
AND F.fname = 'I. Teach'
1. How is the database management systems approach different from the earlier,
file-based approach to managing data? Describe in your own words and do not use
the words in the text.
The database management systems approach to storing data and information
1. Will the rate of technology development slow in the next five years? Why, or why
No. I dont believe that the rate of technology development will slow within the
next five years. Since the evolution of technology, more and more things are
1. What are some of the policies at your workplace for the use of public wireless
facilities or public computers? (Example, computers at a conference event)
At the hospital I work for, we offer public computers for guests to use in the
waiting rooms as we
Provide an example at your workplace/school in which you felt that your
manager was misinformed and your own decision was better. Suggest how to manage
such a situation .
At my workplace, my boss was unavailable during a network downtime. He has
Outsourcing computer infrastructure has both advantages and disadvantages.
Provide two examples of advantages and two examples of disadvantages.
Outsourcing is a quick and easy way to gain the needed amount of expertise in the
area that your company is