Age of Revolutions:
- The Atlantic Revolutions
o American, French, Haitian, Latin American
- Industrial Revolution
- Haitian Revolution
o Colony vs. Empire, second independent nation state in W hemisphere,
breaking from French
o Enlightenment Revo
Modern Egypt and Sudan
The Nile River Valley in Antiquity
- could count on the Nile flooding Egyptians looked forward to it
because the flood brought new topsoil to their fields
o agriculturally productive thanks to new / fresh nutrients
- not a river val
The Unification of China
- never really gave a great religion
- Confucianism isnt really a religion, more like atheist, humanistic system,
people in and of themselves are improvable without a higher power, scripture,
Bureaucrat (noun) an official i
The Industrial Revolution
Divided up an administrate how the land was going to be split up so it could be centrally
organized and get fertilized and livestock was kept for properly
- anti-enclosure / critique of the decline o
October 27 handout: Religion and the early modern world
Reformation in Europe
- The late medieval churchwhat was happening with the church in western
Christendom? Division in the hierarchy; consolidating authority over daily life;
What we do in the absence of recordsAfrica and the Americas
- Why do we know so little about sub-saharan Africa in the pre-modern period?
- What were the Bantu migrations?
- What unified these peoples?
Mesoamerica: Mayan civilizati
The Connected World: Commercial, Imperial, pathogenic
- What technological changes made trade by sea possible?
- Why was trade by sea so attractive?
- Political fragmentation in Islamwhy?
- What was the role of merchants
October 7 handout: Christian West and Wider Reactions to Islam
The Christian WestByzantium and Europe
- How did the Byzantine empire respond to expansionist Muslim states?
- Romes disintegration and Germanic tribes: How did Germanic tribes, es
Ch. 3 Mesopotamia
Egalitarianism the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and
- these societies were not egalitarian, not all people were equal
Lingua Franca literally Frankish language, but used to mean common langua
Final: 15-18 lectures through Nov. 14?
The Mughal Empire
- didnt start out in India
- Babur (1530) started it
o Came from good family: related to Genghis Khan (mothers side) and
Tamerlane (fathers side) didnt inherit either kingdoms
o Inherited Fergana St
The 3 Cs of World History
Comparison: same place, different moments or same moment, different place
Connection: see ways in which different sections of the world are linked together
Change: why you get a massive shift in the global economy, when are the
The French Revolution 1789-1815
In 1875 British Empire is larger and stronger than in 1775
Why didnt the American Revolution end the age of empires?
- technological change trumps political change?
- Liberty for Europeans, conquest for non-european
The state and Global Politics, before 1775
1780-1945: age of European dominance
rest of the world encounters Europe by force and by choice, ushered in by a
number of events that occur by the end of the 18th century
Changes in the Global Economy be
The Latin American Wars of Independence: the Atlantic Revolutions Continued
- impact of Spain and Portugal on the Americas
- Similarities and differences in Europe and in the Americas
- Differences within each region or province
The American Revolution 1775-1781
Signs of change in the 18th century
- world population surge: so many more people inhabiting the globe, led to
problems in the Asian economy, created new possibilities in the European
Europe II: 11/15
Capitalism: noun an economic and political system in which a countrys trade and
industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state
- money is the root of all evil, help the poor, Jesus and his followers were no
SECOND HISTORY EXAM
FINAL HISTORY EXAM