What is GEOGRAPHY?
Understanding the earth; the study of the distribution of phenomena over the surface of
What are the FOUR different areas of Location?
1. Nominal: expressed solely in the terms of the
30 THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SOUTH ASIA!
1. Why has South Asia avoided heavy influence from outside Asian nations?
Mountains form a wall around South Asia
2. Due to its low elevation and being located where two major rivers come together, which
32 THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT NORTH AFRICA/SW ASIA!
1. Why is it problematic to equate Arabs and Muslims?
Islam does not mean Arab
2. Which mountain range is the primary cause for creating the Sahara?
3. As discussed in class, wh
42 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR LATIN AMERICA
1. Know how we defined "Latin America" for this class.
Everything south of the US
2. What physical geographic feature is the reason for Mexico Citys poor air quality?
The city sits in a bowl, thermal inversio
21 THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE PACIFIC REALM
1. What is generally used to define the Outback?
Traditional definition of backcountry, any place outside the urban area
2. Which Australian city is often heralded as one of the most remote cities i
54 THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT AFRICA!
1. What country was the focal point of the "Great War of Africa"?
Democratic Republic of Congo
2. What is the significance of renaming in terms of post-colonial Africa?
Renaming from European to African name
40 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR EUROPE!
1. What is the longest river in Europe?
2. How does the North Atlantic Drift impact Europe?
Makes it warmer than it should be; Gulf of Mexico sends warm ocean currents
3. Know the four main physical geo
25 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW FOR NORTH AND CENTRAL ASIA (RUSSIAN REALM)!
1. The Russian people originate from a combination of Slavic people and the Varangians
(descendants of the Vikings), creating a state known as what?
2. What event did the c
1/3 of European population lives within the coast
1900s:demand in energy increased, two world wars
1940-1990: environmental concienquences
people in the Netherlands have a closer relationship with Europe
Earthen dike acr
Cognate-word in two separate languages, same meaning with different
sounds, languages are related
Borrowed word-word in 2 languages with same meaning and similar,
but irregular sounds, languages not related
Monsoon-seasonal winds that facilitat
Who are southwest Asians and north Africans?
Heart of plant domestication -> farming, stay in one place
People needed resources, and these resources created conflicts
Production of agricultural surplus:
City states: largely self-sufficient, wa
30 THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT NORTHEAST ASIA!
1. Chinese civilization developed around which two rivers?
Huang and Yangtza
2. How has the physical geography of China dictated its population settlement?
Most people live in the eastern half due to
25 THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT SOUTHEAST ASIA!
1. Which river of Southeast Asia runs through or borders all mainland Southeast Asian countries
and is known for its giant catfish?
2. How do the population patterns of mainland Southeast Asia d
20 THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE WORLD!
~from the first examination~
1. In what way does post-colonialism compare to the "white flight" phenomenon witnessed
in many urban areas in the United States?
Wealthy people move from the cities to the sub
What is Weather?
the day to day changes in atmospheric conditions
What is Climate?
long term weather conditions
What are the two most important expressions of climate?
Temperature and Precipitation
What are the 3 different cohorts in Population Pyramids?
1. Youth Cohort: members of the population who are less than 15 years old & are "too
young" to be in the labor force
2. Middle Cohort: members between 15-64 y
What is a Tropical Disturbance?
large areas of rain & lightning that form off the coast of Africa or in the Caribbean Sea
usually dont form into hurricanes
How do West African Storms affect Tropical Disturbances?
Indicates population change by sex and age over time
Used to show population dynamics either historically or for the future
Divide entire population into male/female groups and then separate into
Just enough food and fiber to survive and take care of your family
Production of food and fiber for the market
Industries of the Industrial Revolution
Iron, Coal, T
Security and protection, federal, state and local
Settled farming where soil is fertile enough to grow a full subsistence crop and can be
Labor, land, cap
Origins of religions
Buddhism- Northern India
Islam- Arabian Peninsula
Hinduism- Northern India
The civic and legal expression of ethnicity
Banal nationalism- "the unwaved flag"
The doctrine or belief of the existence of one god
A journey to a place considered sacred for religious purpose
A relatively small group that has broken away from an established denom
The Fertile Crescent
Where agriculture all began
The Agricultural Revolution
The process whereby humans learned to cultivate crops and domesticate animals
The Tigris-Euphrates river valley, South E
Question 30 on North Africa/Southwest Asia:
Yemen actually united from two separate countries [North Yemen and
South Yemen]. Though each country was not created around religion, there
is a religious difference; North Yemen was historically Shia and South
PEMERINTAH KOTA SINGKAWANG
PENDIDIKAN KOTA SINGKAWANG
NEGERI 10 SINGKAWANG
Soedarso Gg. Mathan Sibu Kel. Kuala Kec. Singkawang Barat
KISI KISI UJIAN PRAKTIKUM
: Agama Kristen
Kelas / Program: XII