Type of Calculator
1. The compound, C7H4N3O6, burns explosively with oxygen to produce CO2, water,
and N2. Write a balanced chemical equation for this reaction and calculate the mass of
oxygen required (in grams) to burn 1
Chemical Equilibrium Homework
1. Can you oxidize sulfide with nitrate via the following reaction at pH 8 if the
concentration of all the reactants and products (except H+) is 10-4 M? What other
factor would need to be considered?
H + + NO -3 HS
Water Treatment Homework
Define the meaning of the term pathogen and give the names of pathogen groups.
What determines the kinds and concentrations of pathogens in wastewater?
Define the meaning of fecal-oral route in the transmission of disea
Chemical Reaction Engineering Homework
1. Work the following problems from Cooper et al. (2000)
A CSTR is being fed a 100 L/minute stream containing 0.10 mole/L of
reactant A. The reaction proceeds according to:
2 A B with RA = k [A]3
Type of Calculator
A coal-fired power plant burns 10,000 metric tons [metric ton (MT)=1,000 kg] per
day of coal. The coal contains 5% by weight noncombustible ash. Pollution
control devices capture 99.9% of the ash, the ca
Wastewater Treatment Homework
1. An industrial wastewater was analyzed to determine BOD5. Four different dilutions were
completed, with initial and final dissolved oxygen concentrations as noted below. Determine
the BOD5 concentration (Cooper e
(Problems 1-4 are from Snoeyink and Jenkins, 1980)
1. A first-order reaction is 40 percent complete at the end of 50 minutes. What is
the value of the rate constant in sec-1? In how many minutes will the reaction be
80 percent co
Introduction to Environmental Engineering
1. (Optional) Write a short (e.g., one paragraph) description of why you chose to pursue a
degree in Civil Engineering. The last sentence of this description should read something
Chemistry Review Homework
For the following problems, equivalents and normality refer to acid/base reactions.
Answers are given in bold.
For the underlined element in the following ions or molecules, calculate the
oxidation state, the number