Oct. 28, 2015
Procedure for Enthalpy Change Lab
1. Obtain a small Styrofoam cup and a thermometer clip from the side shelf.
2. Take the Styrofoam cup to the hydrogen peroxide repipet set to 50.0 mL. Obtain a
portion of the solution.
Sept. 2, 2015
Procedure for Determination of Density Lab
1. Receive two samples, one a larger sample and the other a smaller sample, of the same
unknown metallic element.
2. Place a clean 50-mL beaker on the analytical balance and re
Jan. 27, 2016
Procedure for Enthalpy of Hydration Lab
1. The anhydrous magnesium sulfate sample should be between 7 to 8 grams. The mass of
the hydrate (MgSO4 x 7H2O) sample should be between 15.3 and 15.4 grams.
2. After measuring the anhyd
March 2, 2016
Procedure for Acid Dissociation Constant Lab
1. Obtain an unknown acid from the stockroom, and weigh about 0.1 grams into a clean
250 mL Erlenmeyer flask. Add enough water to dissolve the acid, and then three drops
Feb. 3, 2016
Procedure for Freezing Point Depression Lab
1. Obtain a short wide test tube, a one-hole stopper, a half inch stirring bar, a Vernier Lab
Pro, a temperature probe, and a Palm Pilot from the stockroom. Also obtain a magne
Feb. 17, 2016
Procedure for Kinetics of a Chemical Reaction Lab
1. Place eight six inch test tubes in a rack, and then using the stock solution containing 5.00
x 10-4 M of iodine in 0.002 M I2, prepare a series of solutions containin
Nov. 11, 2015
Procedure for Gas Constant Lab
1. Add 50 mL of deionized water to the 100 mL graduated cylinder. Use a repipet to add 10
mL of 6 M HCl solution to prepare the 1 M HCl solution.
2. Pour the solution back and forth betwee
Sept. 23, 2015
Procedure for Preparation of Alum from Aluminum Metal Lab
1. Obtain 2.0 grams of aluminum foil and record its weight on to the data sheet.
2. Cut or tear the aluminum into small 1 cm pieces.
3. Put the pieces into a 25
Analysis of Monel
September 24, 2015
The purpose of this experiment was qualitatively and quantitatively analyze a 1.4747g
sample of Monel alloy. Selective precipitation and ion exchange chromatography
were used to determi
Acid Base Titration Curves
September 3, 2014
The purpose of this experiment is to create an understanding of titration curves by
titrating a standardized strong base against a strong acid, a strong base against a weak
Recombinant DNA Technology
Isolates and amplifies
specific sequences of DNA
incorporates them into vector DNA molecules
Resulting recombinant DNA
is propagated and amplified (cloned)
in organisms such as E. coli
Chapter 8: How Cells Make ATP: Energy-Releasing Pathways
1. The splitting of molecules into smaller components is referred to as:
2. Which of the following statements concerning anab
Chapter 14: Gene Regulation
Chapter 14 practice test questions
1. Regulation of gene expression can be accomplished by controlling:
the activity of a protein product.
the amount of mRNA that is available.
the rate of translation of mRNA.
Solomon Chapter 14 Gene Regulation Worksheet
1. Mechanisms that regulate gene expression include:
2. _ is the most efficient mechanism
of gene regulation in bacteria.
3. _ are genes that encode essential
protein that are in constant use.
4. A gene complex
Chapter 13: Gene Expression
Beadle and Tatum irradiated Neurospora and initially grew the mutant strains on
complete medium. How were they able to determine what type of mutation each
What conclusions did Beadle and Tatum
Chapter 10: Chromosomes, Mitosis, and Meiosis
Solomon chapter 10
1. A bacterial chromosome consists of:
linear DNA molecule many times larger than the cell.
circular DNA molecule many times larger than the cell.
circular DNA molec
Viruses and Prokaryotes
Viruses are non-cellular infectious agents
A. A virus particle consists of a nucleic acid surrounded by a protein coat. Some viruses also
have an outer membranous envelope
1. The protein coat is called the capsid
2. Viruses conta
What is the correct formula for aluminum
What is the correct formula for aluminum
Which formula is not correct?
Molecular Weight Determination By Freezing Point Depression Lab
First, get a short, wide test tube, a one-hole stopper, and a 1/2 inch stirring bar from the
stockroom. Also get a Vernier Lab Pro, a temperature probe, and a Palm P
Kinetics of a Chemical Reaction Lab
Place 8 six-inch test tubes in a rack. Using the stock solution containing 5.00 X 104
M of Iodine in 0.002 M
I 2 , prepare a series of solutions containing various concentrations of
Iodine as i
Spectrophotometric Determination of Food Dyes Lab
First with the sample compartment empty, calibrate the Spec20 by setting the needle to
zero using the ZERO adjust knob. After that, insert a cuvette filled with deionized water that wi
Determination of an Equilibrium Constant Lab
Get the Vernier setup for colorimetry and 6 50 mL Erlenmeyer flasks. Label 5 of the
flasks and prepare them accordingly using the labeled repipet at the side shelf to dispense the 5.0
Enthalpy of Hydration Lab
To begin this lab, obtain a sample of the anhydrous magnesium sulfate that is between 7
and 8 grams. The mass of the hydrate sample should be between 15.3 and 15.4 grams. After
measuring, keep the vial c
Buffer Solutions Lab
To begin, set up the Vernier apparatus. Be sure to rinse off the pH electrode between the
readings using deionized water from your wash bottle. Leave the electrode immersed in
deionized water between pH readings.
Acid Dissociation Constant Lab
Obtain an unknown acid from the stockroom and weigh out about 0.1 g into a clean 250
mL Erlenmeyer flask. Add enough water to dissolve the acid and then add 3 drops of
phenolphthalein indicator. Rinse a
Lecture Outline Lecture 18: Emotional and Social Development in Middle Adulthood
Eriksons View of Middle Adulthood: Generativity vs. Stagnation
Generativity involves reaching out to others in ways that give to and guide the next generation
People may ex
Lecture Outline Lecture 19: Aging in America and Physical Development in Late Adulthood
How Do We View Older Adults?
Prevalence of _ageism_ in the U.S. prejudice against others because of their advanced age
According to Harwood, we just need to look to