Chapter 5 Homework Assignment
Questions 6, 7, 8, 11, 12
6) Which of the following are density-dependent factors: a hurricane, disease, or
- Density dependent factors are factors of the environment whose effect on a population
Chapter 9 Homework Assignment
Questions 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
7) What are the four variables that urban ecologist study?
- The four variables that urban ecologist study are population, organization, environment,
8) What is a brownfield? Why is i
Chapter 3 Homework Assignment
6) Is this an example of an open system or a closed system? Explain your answer.
- This example is an open system because it exchanges energy with its surroundings, which
is the definition of an open system.
Chapter 8 Homework Assignment
Questions 2, 4, 7, 9, 15, 16
2) What is demography?
- According to the book, demography is the applied branch of sociology that deals with
population statistics and provides information on the populations of various countries
Chapter 1 Homework Assignment
1) Explain why a single child born in the United States can have a greater effect on the
environment than 12 or more children born in a developing country.
- The reason a single child born in the United States can have a grea
Chapter 2 Homework Assignment
3) If you were a member of Congress, what legislation would you introduce to deal with
each of these problems?
a. Toxic materials from a major sanitary landfill are polluting some rural drinking-water wells.
- Clean Water Act
Chapter 4 Homework Assignment
2, 7, 8, 10, 14, 15
What is a biogeochemical cycle? Why is the cycling of matter essential to the
continuance of life?
- A biogeochemical cycle is the process by which matter cycles from the living world to the
Chapter 7 Homework Assignment
Questions 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, +Cost Benefit Analysis Def.
1) What are the three leading causes of death in the United States? How are they related
to lifestyle choices?
- In 1900, the three leading causes of death in the United