Business Data Communications and
Jerry Fitzgerald and Alan Dennis
John Wiley & Sons, Inc
Dwayne Whitten, D.B.A
Mays Business School
Texas A&M University
Introduction to Data
Chapter 1 Outline
Ch. 10 Vocab
1. Bankruptcy: under US law, this protects a firm from creditors while mgmt reorganizes to restore solvency.
2. BCG matrix: analyzes busn opportunities according to market growth rate and market share.
3. Business strategy: identifies how a d
Ch 19: Operations & Service Management
1. B/E analysis: performs what-if calculations under different rev and cost conditions.
2. B/E point: occurs were revs just = cost
3. Competitive advantage: the ability to do something so well that one out-performs c
Ch 13: HR Management
1. 360-degree appraisals: Includes superiors, subordinates, peers, and even customers in the appraisal
2. Affirmative action: An effort to give preference in employment to women and minority group
3. Assessment cente
Ch 12: Org Culture and Change
1. Biculturalism: is when minority members adopt characteristics of majority cultures in order to succeed.
2. Bottom-up change: Change initiatives come from all levels in the organization.
3. Change leader: Tries to change th
Ch 11: Organization Structure & Design
1. Adaptive org: an org that operates with a minimum of bureaucratic features and encourages worker
empowerment and teamwork.
2. Authority-and-responsibility principle: type of principle that authority should equal r
Resources, markets, and competition are worldwide in scope.
The process of growing interdependence amoung elements of the global economy.
Involves managing operations in more than one country.
Ch 6 & 7j
Raw facts and observations.
Data made useful for decision making.
Helps us acquire, store and process information.
Use IT to collect, organize, and distribute data for use in decision
Ch. 1 & 2
The collective brainpower or shared knowledge of a workforce.
Someone whose mind is a critical asset to employers.
Describes differences among workers in gender, race, age, ethnicity, rel
Ch 3 & 4
The general environment is comprised of economic, legal-political,
technological, sociocultural, and natural environment conditions.
The deliberate blockage and denial of public access to information posted