1) Selective medium contains ingredients to inhibit the growth of certain bacteria, while
allowing other types of bacteria to grow. This is helpful by isolating bacteria in situations
that are highly mixed or have contaminated specimens. Di
1) The initial pH was 6.5, after the yogurt is finish we predict the pH will be about 4.
This is because yogurt is more acidic than water or milk, but less acidic compared
2) The milk is heated to 160 degrees fahrenheit to kill any
1) To ascertain if different media can support growth of a broader or narrow range of
organisms, and if different bacterial species grow in various kinds of culture media. To
test what bacteria grow best in which conditions.
1) I did get a few isolated colonies, the culture was not pure since it had different colors and
characteristics. My streak plate was correctly labeled, had appropriate pattern for streak
lines, the whole plate was streaked, and had well-i
1) Next Page
2) It is based on the cell wall structure. The acid-fast bacteria have unique walls. They have
mycolic acids, which is wax, in the wall and includes the genus mycobacterium. In order
to stain acid-fast bacteria you need to heat-
1) Staining is important to identify and characterize microorganism. Looking at a bacterium
may be the first method used to identify the cause of an infection as well.
2) If you forget to heat fix your bacteria the microbes might not get a
1) The purpose is to determine the effect of two physical factors, oxygen amount and
temperature, on bacterial growth.
1) To observe and determine how quickly uV light kills bacteria and if all bacteria are
2) uV light is effective in killing bacteria since it messes up their DNA by forming
thymine dimers. It makes two thymines connect
BMS 212 Introduction to Microbiology
Make sure you read the questions carefully and pick the best answer. Please use a #2 pencil and fill in
the bubbles completely. You may keep your exam for study purposes. Good Luck!
Name _ Chemical Agents Homework BI 127 Microbiology Due Wed, March 30 in class Hand in a paper copy (typed or handwritten is OK) (15 points) Locate an antimicrobial product that is in your home. This can be anything that claims to have antimicrobial activ
Biol 127 Protozoa and Helminth Parasites and Diseases Ch 11: p. 310-319, p. 326-332, p. 336-339 (malaria) Ch 23: p. 745-747 (tapeworms) Ch22: p. 705-707 (pinworms) Ch22: p. 711 Parasitology study of medically important protozoa and multicellular parasites
Biol 127 Fungi and Fungal Diseases Ch 11: p. 319-326 Ch 13: p. 388-389 Ch 19: p. 588-589, 590 Mycology is the study of fungi - Fungi include - Yeasts - Molds - Mushrooms, morels, puffballs, tree ears - Rusts, smuts - Medical mycology is the study of medic
Viruses Biol 127 Ch 10: pgs 271-298 & 304-309 Ch 13: pgs 389-390; Ch 16: pgs 476-478 What are viruses? - Acellular - Obligate intracellular parasites - Generally considered to be Size of Viruses: _ (Fig 10.2) - smaller than bacteria - originally referred
Name _ Probiotics Homework BI 127 Microbiology Due Mon, Feb 14 in class Hand in a paper copy (typed or handwritten is OK) (10 points) Visit the website below. Review "My Digestive Well-Being" and "How Activia Helps". Some of the FAQs may also be helpful (
Biol 127 Prokaryotes & Eukaryotes Ch 4: pgs. 79-106, 111-115 Recall Cell Theory: All living things can be categorized on the basis of _ as: What do we already know about Prokaryotes & Eukaryotes?
Main difference between Prokaryotes & Eukaryotes is:
Biol 127 Notes Chapter 2 Chemistry Review Ch 2: pgs. 28-51 Why study Chemistry?!? - Forms the basis for - Relates to - Important for understanding - To work and interact with Chemical Bonds - Molecules contain atoms held together by chemical bonds - Chemi
Aseptic Technique and Streak Plate Method
Read: Ex 1-3 Common Aseptic Transfers and Inoculation Methods and Ex 1-4 Streak Plate Method (p. 17-27) Learning Objectives: The student will be able to: 1) Understand and apply principles of aseptic techn