Excluded, ignored, or relegated to the outer edge of a group, society, community
Men to engage in same-sex behavior, but who may not necessarily self-identity as gay
Male to Female Transexual
when a FTM takes the hormone testoste
Exam 2 study guide
Topic 6: earthquakes
1. When does an earthquake occur? (What has to happen?)
a. Earthquakes occur at fault zones
b. Faults: planer breaks in rock along which there is displacement of one
side relative to another
c. Lateral (strike slip
During the 2015 teach-in, I attended Addressing Gender Normative Issues on
Campus. I reacted strongly to the message Margie Munzo and Dr. Cael Keegan tried
to convey. I was extremely disturbed to learn campuses dont provide equal facilities
February 24, 2015
DISCUSSION QUESTION: week 8
Respond to this passage from the text. In what ways does this sound similar to white privilege?
Have you ever heard of, or considered, this form of privilege before?
This heterosexual privi
Week 2: Culture, Class, and Social Identity Development (Appleby, Chapters 1-2; Payne,
1. What is the Ecological Framework? What are the five domains of the Ecological
2. What is the PIE assessment? What are the 4 factors of PIE, and
- Uncertainty about the reliability and predictability of the world
- Problems with boundaries
- Distrust and suspiciousness
- Social isolation
- Difficulty relating to others
- Difficulty empathizing
- Hypersensitivity to physica
Books definition of Culture
Values, norms, knowledge, behavior, patterns, and artifacts that are transmitted by
symbols, constituting the distinctive achievement of human groups.
NASW's definition of Culture
- The integrated pattern of human behavior that
- A socially constructed system of classification that ascribes qualities of masculinity and
femininity to people. Gender characteristics can change over time and are different
- One's sense of self as masculine or feminine regard
Population Statistics of African Americans
- 2010 there were 42 million AA in American of the total population of 308.7 million.
- The largest minority group in 24 states.
- Approximately 11-12 million were brought to the new world as slaves. 500,000-700,
Framework for Practice
1. Ecological Framework
2. Diversity and Strengths Perspective
3. Value Base
4. Assessment and Intervention Framework
Theory of Practice
- A theory of practice
- A theory for practice
- A theory of caring
OF practice: consists of "a
Fear, Anger, Disgust, Discomfort and Aversion to LGBT people
Belief that heterosexuality is superior or "more natural" than homosexuality
What does research say about Sexual Orientation?
- Genetic, biological, brain, social, psycho
What is the history of racism against Native Americans?
- Revolutionary War
- War of 1812
- Trail of Tears
- Cultural vs. Physical Genocide
What are some contributors to devastation to the Native Peoples?
- Introduction to Alcohol
- Traumatic experiences that are ongoing and occur more than once.
Trauma impacts on the brain.
- Every exposure to trauma actives the Limbic system (doing brain).
- Continual activation of this system resets the Limbic system to a more eas
An exaggerated oversimplified belief about an entire group of people without regard for
Person who is attracted to a gender other than their own. Commonly thought as
"attraction to the opposite gender" but since
Hate crime legislation often defines a hate crime as a crime motivated by the actual or
perceived race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, or sexual
orientation of any person
Sexual, emotional, and/
- Intellectually: a biological term classifying people with similar physical characteristics
- Emotionally: In U.S. and other cultures has come to take on a meaning that refers to
differences based on colot
- Shared cultural practices, pers