2. Prediction, identification, classification, and optimization.
3. Associtation rules, classification hierarchies, sequential patterns, patterns within a time
series, and clustering.
1. A subject-oriented, integrated, non-volitile, time-vari
Data Mining Software
IBMs Cognos 8 BI - Can be used in many different businesses ranging from Small
businesses to large businesses such as WalMart which is more likely to use Domains within
the World Wide Web.
STATISTICA Can also be used with small and bi
IT 203 Final Project
IT 203 Final Project
6. The primary key is specified by right clicking on the column in the diagram, then select set
8. Right click on the column name you wish to select, and then choose relationships from the
Homework Assignment 2.1
Pg 27 (1-8)
1. a person place or thing that is being modeled. example. employee and work locations
2. a logical connection between two records from two or more tables. ex. one to one, one to
many, many to many.
Homework Assignment 1.1
1. Review Pg. 12
6. Entity: Something about which you want to store data.
7. Business logic: Rules that govern an organization's processes.
8. Relational database: a database that organizes data into overlapping tables.
9. they are
7. create table PetOwner
(pet_ownerid varchar(5) not null primary key,
This information is needed for the petowner column.
8. create tabl
Lab 1.4 Challenge Activity
1. Describe a situation in which the database may become inconsistent.
There are two of the exact same entries in the database. One has a
renewal date of 8/2/2010 and the other is 8/2/2011. There is not a
Question A: The initial size is 3.00MB
Question B: The default location of the database and the log file are the same and are
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA
Question C: By default, all of the values are NULL
A) 290 rows
B) EmployeeFilter2 adds row 5 (everything from employee ID 5 and less than 5)
C) EmployeeID, HireDate and Title
D) Count = how many employees had vacation hours and Sum was the total of all of them
E) They are both the exact
Sybase: Is very similar to SQL Server. Although SQL was adapted for Windows NT and Sybase has a Unix heritage.
Sybase is now joined with Verizon which uses its database management platform.
DB2: Was created by IBM and runs primarily on Unix. It supports b
1) Databases: are mechanisms that manage, store and retrieve information. They do this
2) Four components of the Organizational System:
3) Client/Server Architecture (two tier):
1) Entity A person, place or thing that is being modeled.
Example: employees and work location
2) Relationship A logical connection between records from two or more tables.
Example: One-to-One or One-to-Many
3) Attribute A pro
Lab 2.1: Entity and Referential Integrity
What is the purpose?
These lab exercises will help you apply concepts of entity and referential integrity in resolving
database design problems. It is important to get practice applying these concepts before
4. A row in one table is matched to multiple rows in the second table, and a row in the
second table is linked back to one row in the first table.
5. One-To-Many relationship is modeled by a single line from table one to a crows foot in
1. Write a short paragraph explaining why update, insert, and delete problems might arise in
These problems may arise due to dependencies. If a primary key is used incorrectly updates
arent possible. Also if you try to d
6. Primary keys can be specified by selecting the column, right-clicking, then selecting Set
8. To create a relationship, first drag from the primary key of the relationship to the foreign key
that references it.
Lab 4.1: Normalization
This lab will help you recognize denormalized data and practice applying the first three normal forms.
Task 1: Scenario:
You are given the data shown below. You need to correctly normalize the data. An employee is part of
Lab 2.1 (Group A)
List of Questions:
Are there any other ailments besides depression that you treat?
Do you review your notes that you write down with nurses or others?
The notes that you take when you ask patients questions, do you file t