12/3/15 12:35 AM
Today: Brief overview on inflammation
Mediators such as nitric oxide, macrophages.
Immune System our way to defend ourselves from pathogens
2 major parts
o Innate * one we are talking about today.
Diseases on left side of heart will impair blood flow through body.
Bicuspid on left side because of hemodynamics and mechanics.
When the heart forms it has to beat from very beginning. Initially its formed as a tube that loops
and forms four chambers. M
1) Digestion (Bile Production with bile salts, pigments and cholesterol)
2) Detoxification from xenobiotics & Endobiotics
a. Cytochrome p450 enzymes
a. Carbohydrate v Lipid
What happens without insulin? The body thinks it is fasting!
1. Protein catabolism. Without glucose for energy or amino acids for protein synthesis,
muscles break down their proteins to provide a substrate for ATP production.
2. Fat catabolism. Adipose t
!Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
!Lipoproteins and dyslipidemia
!Obesity and Cardiac Dysfunction
By 2030 1 adult in 10
Transport of chylomicrons:
1) Within the enterocyte fatty acids and monoglycerides are packaged into lipoproteins:
2) Chylomicrons will assemble into a phospholipid layer (hydrophilic) and a hydrophobic core
containing triglycerides and fatty