1) Define the term law and describe the sources from which law is derived.
laws are enforceable rules enforced by the government. They are derived from the
judicial branch who hears both sides of an argument and makes a decision.
2) Define the legal terms
1) Describe the trial process, including pretrial motions and the functions of the judge, jury, and attorneys
pretrial pleadings outlining the case
attorneys argue their side of the case
jury makes the final verdict on which side
1) Q:Who is often recognized as being the first hospital administrator?
2) Q: Which invention attributed to Van Leeuwenhoeck had a pronounced influence on the
creation of the sciences of cytology, bacterialogy, and pathlogy?
Healthcare Law Chapter 1
Q:Who is often recognized as being the first hospital administrator?
Q: Which invention attributed to Van Leeuwenhoeck had a pronounced influence on the creation of the sciences of cytology,
1) What are the objectives of criminal law?
a) maintain public order and safety
b) protect individuals
c) Use punishment as a deterrent to crime
d) rehabilitate criminals for return to society
2) Describe the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony.
1. Describe the objectives of tort law
remedy civil wrongdoings excluding breach of contract
2. Discuss the distinctions among negligent torts, intentional torts, and strict liability
negligent torts - It is the unintentional commision of omissi
What was the reasoning for enacting the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active
Part of COBRA - avoid patient dumping and possibly killing people that needed emergency
treatment but did not receive it
Comment on the following statement: A
Describe how the scope of nursing is changing
Med accidents are being eliminated. They are also being given more responsibilities
with more patients than in the past.
2) Describe how the roles of a nurse anesthetist, clinical nurse specialist, nurse
Cafiero V NC board of nursing
Incorrect connection of of heart monitor resulted in a shock
Was instructed to wait
Vanhoy V US
Coronary bypass at VA
Left unattended for hours
Vegetable from anoxic brain injury
McCann V ABC Insurance
Deliver baby usin
Defendant can file prelim
Summons and Complaint
Discovery and Examination
Investigate and examine
evidence before the trial
Take a crack at
getting it tosses
1) Discuss the importance of delineating clinical privileges.
Every dr has some things they do good and some they dont know as well. If given the
choice I would prefer a dr who focuses on heart surgery do a heart surgery on me as
opposed to a pediatrician
1) Describe the organization, responsibilities, duties , and legal risks of a governing body.
The governing bodyis responsible for setting guidelines and making big picture decisions.
They usually have a number of committes that make all of the big pictur
1) What is a contract?
A contract is a legally binding written or oral agreement that involves legally binding
2) Describe the differences between an express and an implied contract.
express are clearly written or oral agreements whi
1) remedy civil wrongdoings excluding breach of contract
2) negligent torts - It is the unintentional commision of omissio of an act that a reasonably prudent person would or would not do under the same or similiar circumstances.
Intentional torts - Invol
Understand the different types of contracts
*Express written or oral
*Implied inferred by law
Voidable allows 1 party to exit
Executed terms have been met
Enforceable valid and legally binding
Unenforceable NOT valid and legally bi
Describe the objectives of tort law
Discuss the distinctions among negligent torts, intentional torts, and strict liability
What forms of negligence are described in this chapter?
How does one distinguish between negligence and malpr