1. The displacement of an object in SHM is given by: y t 8.00 cm sin 1.57
rads/sec t .
What is the period of the oscillations?
A. 9.865 s.
B. 0.637 s.
C. 4.00 s.
D. 0.250 s.
E. 5.096 s.
2. A mass on a spring executes simple harmonic motion described by
1. The torque exerted on the moon by the gravitational pull of the earth is
A. normal to the direction of the moon's path.
B. parallel to the direction of the moon's path.
C. tangent to the imaginary line connecting the earth and the moon.
2. A b
Temperature and the ideal gas
Temperature scales and conversions :
One dimensional (linear)-Two dimensional (area)-Three dimensional (volume)-, = 3
Kinetic theory of gases: ;
Mean free path
Ideal Gas Law: PV
Rotations, torques, and angular momentum
o The rotational kinetic energy:
o Rotational inertia:
o Torque and angular acceleration : = I,
o Angular momentum:
o Conservation of angular momentum:
o Rotational work: W =
P = F/A
= m/V, S.G. = /wa
1. A diver experiences a total pressure of 5 atm due to being underwater. The air
water is at atmospheric pressure (1 atm = 1.013x10 5 Pa) and the water density is 1000
What is the divers depth below the surface of the water?
A. 10.3 m
1. The source and observer of a sound wave are both at rest with respect to the
ground. The wind blows in the direction from source to observer. Is the observed
frequency Doppler-shifted? Explain.
Yes, because sound moves with respect to the medium. If th
1.) A hydraulic lift is designed with an input cylinder that has 1/5 the diameter of the output
cylinder. If a force F is applied to the input cylinder, the output cylinder can supply a
force equal to _.
2.) At the surface of a freshwater lake, the pressu
1. A cello player can change the frequency of the sound produced by her
instrument by (a) increasing the tension in the string, (b) pressing her finger on
the string at different places along the fingerboard, or (c) bowing a different
string. Explain how