1. Aquaporin channels are found in the plasma membrane, allowing the rapid
passage of water molecules and small ions in and out of cells.
2. The mitochondria use molecular oxygen to produce H2O and ATP.
3. During the firs
1. Cilia and flagella use _ motors to create movement?
2. The _ nature of a myosin thick filament is essential for
3. Of the two kinds of cell death, _ is an important part of normal
1. The cytoskeleton is made up of actin filaments, microtubules, and intermediate
2. Noncovalent bonds are too weak to influence the three dimensional structure
3. Compared to the nucleotide
1. The final metabolite produced by glycolysis is _.
A) acetyl CoA
D) glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate
2. Two molecules of CO2 are produced after the completion of a single citric acid
reaction cycle. Where does the required ox
1. Akt promotes the survival of many cells. It is activated by an intracellular
signaling pathway that is triggered by an RTK that activates PI 3-kinase, as
diagrammed in the following figure. Which of the following statements is false?
A) In the presence
1. _ receives proteins and lipids from the ER, modifies them,
and then and dispatched them to other destinations in the cells.
A) Golgi apparatus
2. Vesicular transport between membrane-enclosed compartments of
endomembrane system is highly o
1. Drosophila melanogaster is a/an _. This type of animal is the most
abundant of all
animal species, making it an appropriate choice as an experimental model.
2. For which of the following would you use an electro
1. The segments of primary RNA that are cleaved off by spliceosomes are called
2. RNA in cells differs from DNA in that _.
A) it is single-stranded and cannot form base pairs
B) it is single-stranded and can fold up into a variety o
1. Membrane synthesis in the cell requires the regulation of growth for both
halves of the bilayer and
the selective retention of certain types of lipids on one side or the other. Which
group of enzymes
accomplishes both of these tasks?
1. Cytochrome oxidase is an enzyme complex that uses metal ions to help
coordinate the transfer of four electrons to O2. Which metal atoms are found in
the active site of this complex?
A) two iron atoms
B) one iron atom and one copper atom
C) one iron ato