Badauni, Akbar and Religion
1. What was the extent of the Mughal Empire at the time Akbar ruled?
Successive Mughal emperors enlarged the empire so that by the time Akbar ruled it
included all of northern India.
2. How was Akbar si
Analytical Questions Exploring the Literary Devices
1. Character: Who is this story about? What do you know about this character?
How is the character special, unique, interesting? Is there more than one main
Dialogue: How does he/she talk? Wha
memory of the
Who was it that?
Describe what happened at?
Where was th
Reilly Questions 13
Read Globalization: 1960 to the Present, Historical Context (Reilly, 1089) and answer the
1. How is globalization often defined?
It is often defined as a complex phenomenon whereby individuals, nations, and
History 1061 54
Benjamin Barber, From Jihad vs. McWorld (Reilly, 1104)
1. What does Barber mean by McWorld and Jihad?
McWorld is the force of Hollywood and refers to Americanization. Jihad is the Arab word for
struggle and is used to symbolize all the nat
Look at Images from Japan: Views of Westernization (Reilly, 897).
Figure 23.1 Monkey Show Dressing Room
1. What aspect of Westernization does this image depict?
It depicts how their culture and ways of life changed due to westernization. They
The atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima with President Trumans order had
devastating effects on Japan. However, the President gave a several reasons for the use of
this powerful weapon in his address after the bombing. His first main reason for dropping
Reilly Questions: Imperialism
Colonized and Colonizers: Europeans in Africa and Asia, 1850-1930
Read the Historical Context, 846-847
1. What was the first stage of European colonialism?
It was a period in which Europeans, led by the Spanish and Portuguese
Reilly Questions 6
Arnold Pacey, Asia and the Industrial Revolution (Reilly, 801)
1. What does Pacey, as a modern historian of technology, attempt to demonstrate in this
He demonstrates how Indian and East Asian manufacturing techniques were
Reilly Questions 5
Toussaint LOuverture, Letter to the Directory (Reilly 788)
1. What problem confronted the French in Haiti after the publication of the Declaration of the
Rights of Man and Citizen in 1789?
They were confronted with the difficult problem
WH Essay 29
Religion and Society
Over the last few decades religious faith appears to be reviving around the
world. Many people are turning to different religions for many different reasons. The
first popular reason seams to be to counte
Shaffer, China, Technology and Change
1. What question are contemporary historians asking about printing, the compass and
gunpowder in China?
Contemporary historians are asking why these inventions were so revolutionary
As you have requested, here is some more information on Gandhi and his
idea of swaraj. The word swaraj means self-rule. Gandhi believes in economic
freedom and self-government. If India were to adopt this idea o
Kirkpatrick Sale, The Conquest of Paradise
1. Is Sales account a primary source or a secondary source? What is the difference?
Why is it important to keep this distinction in mind as you read this piece?
Sales account is a secondary source. L
Mary Jo Maynes and Ann Waltner, Women and Marriage in Europe and China
1. What basic comparative question does an examination European and Chinese marriage patterns
help us answer?
It helps us answer one of the most frequently asked comparati
1st Draft Due: Tue, Oct 20th
Final Draft Due: Thur, Oct 22nd
Introduction: When Jennifer Egan wrote A Visit From the Goon Squad, she said her "guiding rules were only
these: 1) Each chapter had to be about a different person. 2) Each cha