Due : 2011.05.30 9:00A.M.
1. A man strikes one end of a thin rod with a hammer. The speed of sound in the
rod is 10 times the speed of sound in air. A woman, at the other end with her ear
close to the rod, hears the sound of the blow twice with a 0
Homework # 1
Due : 2011.03.21 9:00A.M.
Solve the following problems by a so-called back-of-the-envelope calculations. You only
need to give a rough estimate (an order of magnitude), but should explain how you have
obtained an answer as clearly as possi
SNU Physics: Physics 1, Problem Set #5
Some things from the past
1. Consider an enclosed container filled with air (density ! ). Inside the container,
there is a Helium-filled floating balloon (volume V and mass m). The balloon is
tied to the floor of
Due date : 4/4 9:00 A.M.
(10 points) 1. Assume a small ball with its mass M = 5 kg as shown below. The ball is
tied to the end of a rod by a massless string with its length L = 2m and is rotating around
the rod. The length H of the rod is 4 m,
General physics 1
Homework #3(Due: Apr. 18th)
1. A disk, initially rotating at 60 rad/s, is slowed down with a constant angular acceleration of 4.0 rad/s2. (a)
How much time does it take for the disk to stop? (b) How many times does it rotate? (Note:
1. As a result of temperature rise of , a bar with a crack at its center buckles
upwards. If the fixed distance is and the coefficient of linear expansion of
the bar is , find the rise of the center.
2. The area A of a rectangular plate is . It