September 29, 2013
Thought Paper 5
1. Use the Internet to search for information on phrenology, and describe what you learned.
Why do you think this approach was so popular across Europe and the United States?
Phrenology examines the unevenness and shape
November 7, 2013
History Presentation Evaluation
The first presentation I watched was on the topic of unconscious motivation by Karley
Weir. Unconscious motivation refers to hidden and unknown desires that are the real reason for
the things people do. Fre
October 30, 2013
Thought Paper 10
1. How do you think psychology would be different today if the Gestalt psychologists did
not have to leave Germany due to the rise of the Nazi party? Would behaviorism have
remained as strong of a focus?
September 22, 2013
The Lobotomist Reflection Paper
The lobotomy was developed to relieve patients of their mental disorders. During the
time that this procedure was being used, it seemed as though many mentally ill patients were
seen as not necessarily hu
September 8, 2013
Thought Paper 2
I chose to do some research on the ancient Egyptians. I looked up what they had
said about the brain. I found it interesting that they did not think highly of the brain.
During the creation of a mummy, they remove the
September 15, 2013
Thought Paper 3
1. I chose to look into the thoughts and teachings of St. Augustine from the medieval period.
He believed that everything that was living had a soul. This meant that plants and animals
had souls as well. When living thin
October 13, 2013
Thought Paper 7
1. Why do you think research on psychophysics was some of the first formal work done in the
new discipline of psychology? How do the research interests presented in this lecture connect to
November 5, 2013
Thought Paper 11
1. Of the Neo-Freudians, whose approach do you find most appealing or useful for
I think that Karen Horney had a really interesting approach to early relationships
and their effects on personality development.
October 16, 2013
Thought Paper 8
1. Why did William James become such a major figure in the history of Psychology? What
did he contribute that was unique and/or essential to the development of the discipline?
William James founded the first psychology lab
October 27, 2013
Thought Paper 9
1. Do you see the behaviorist theories as the most scientific of psychology? Explain your
overall thoughts about this approach.
I do not believe that behaviorism is the most scientific approach of psychology.