1 What is the difference between prokaryotic and Eukaryotic cells?
2 Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. Explain it.
3 What is the difference between mtDNA and nDNA?
4 What is nucleus and explain its function.
5 Draw and l
Exam 4 Quick Study Guide!
Chapter 24 Nutrition, Metabolism, and Body Temperature Regulation:
1. Discuss the USDA dietary recommendations and the healthy eating pyramid. Include
examples from class.
-grains and milk is emphasized in the USDA pyramid but ve
Chapter 23: The Digestive System Study Guide
alimentary canal, ingestion, propulsion, mechanical digestion, chemical digestion, absorption,
defecation, peristalsis, segmentation, short reflex, long reflex, peritoneum, visceral peritoneum,
1) The element present in all organic molecules is _.
2) The complexity and variety of organic molecules is due to _.
-A) the chemical versatility of carbon atoms
B) the variety of rare elem
Chapter 8: An Introduction to Metabolism
1) Which of the following is true of metabolism in its entirety in all organisms?
A) Metabolism depends on a constant supply of energy from food.
B) Metabolism uses all of an organism's resources.
Chapter 17 Gene Expression: From Gene to Protein
1) A particular triplet of bases in the template strand of DNA is 5' AGT 3'. The corresponding codon for
the mRNA transcribed is _.
2) The genetic code is essentially t
Chapter 12: The Cell Cycle
1) In eukaryotic cells, chromosomes are composed of _.
A) DNA and RNA
B) DNA only
C) DNA and proteins
D) DNA and phospholipids
2) What is the final result of mitosis in a human?
A) genetically identical 2n somatic cell
The Need to Feed
Food is taken in, taken apart, & taken up in the
process of animal nutrition
In general, animals fall into 3 categories
Herbivores eat mainly plants & algae
Carnivores eat other animals
1.Discuss some of the unique qualities of humans that people have
proposed hypotheses to explain.
Based on the article by Lieberman, Every species is unique., the author
questions Why, of all the earths species do we have such big brains,
We will be working on the Atlantic croaker. They are seasonal reproduce one time a year.
Looking for cues to say its getting close to party time. Takes a couple of months to get prepared.
Temperature, day length, change in day length(trigger)
September 20, 2016
Biology Communications Homework
1. Plants were kept in cod temperature.
2. Exoplanets orbited multiple of stars.
3. Bivalve mollusk population decreased between 1999-2001.
1. The hypothes
Development of gonads
with and without
Endocrine disruptors: exogenous agents that
interfere with the production, release, transp
BPA on Atlantic
Department of Biology,
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
BY: Vania Soler, Francisco Cabrera, Robert
Rene Sanchez, Gloria Cedillo
BPA (Bisphenol A)
Found in most plastics
Present in Corpus Christ
September 1st, 2016
Permit is available at TPWD Law enforcement offices and headquarters, in Austin Tx. Available
from 8am to 5pm Via phone at (800)792-1112, extension #4820 or (51
September 1st, 2016
Material and methods
Sampling the Atlantic Croaker of the northern and southern Gulf of Mexico. 7 fish of both sexes were
acquired for a year. For chemical a
A durable power of attorney is used to: appoint a health care agent.
A femal cancer patient tells the nurse that she begun taking St.Johns wort in conjunction with
her cancer therapy. The nurse should respond by saying: St.Johns wort may reduce the
33. The only color blind member of Arlenes family is her brother, what is her mother and fathers
genotype? a) X bY, XBXB, b) XBXb, XbY , c) XbXb, XbY, d) XBXb, XBY,
e) XBY, XbY
36. An egg having two X chromosomes is fertilized by a Y bearing sperm. A male
A condition may develop when a severely malnourished person is aggressively fed is called:
A COPD patient who complains of abdominal discomfort and dyspnea may benefit from: small,
A critically ill patient with ARDS is
A 12-year old girl is diagnosed with a type 1 diabetes and is placed on insulin. Her mother
expresses concern that her daughter will refuse to give herself injections. The nurse reassures
the mother that: a pump to administer the insulin without syringes
17. Which of the following statements best describes the termination of transcription in prokaryotes? A)
RNA polymerase transcribes through the polyadenylation signal, causing proteins to associate with
the transcript and cut it free from the polymerase.
12. Which of the following affects the number of genetically distinct gametes that an organism
can make? A) the number of chromosomes in the cell B) the number of genes for which
different alleles are present C) random alignment of chromosomes during meio
A high fiber diet increases stool weight and fecal water content. True
A Hispanic pregnant woman is visiting the community clinic for her first prenatal visit. She has a
family history of diabetes, she is obese, and her last baby weighed 9 pounds, 8 ounc
20. Red-green color blindness is a) caused by nondisjunction b) a sex-linked trait c) a sex
influenced trait d) a sex specific trait e) more common in males
21. Hemophilia is a) genetic disorder in blood clotting b) a sex linked trait c) caused by a delet
16. Taxol is an anticancer drug extracted from the Pacific yew tree. In animal cells, Taxol
disrupts microtubule formation by binding to microtubules and accelerating their assembly from
the protein precursor, tubulin. Surprisingly, this stops mitosis. Sp