1. What are two of the different legal categories of homicide?
Discuss each type and provide an example of a homicide that would
fall under the category.
Two different legal categories of homicide are First-degree murder, and
manslaughter. An example of f
Steven Pinker on the Myth of Violence <- your first lab link
1. What myth about violence is happening today?
Today there is a misconception that modernity has brought more violence.
2. What does Pinker argue about violence?
Pinker argues that violence in
Unit 1 Notes
Crime: Human actions that violate the formalized laws of a country, state or local area like a city
Law has to be present before we can consider an act a crime
If no law, no crime. No matter how immoral
Laws are social creations
Unit 2: Biological and Psychological Theories
Section 0: Unit Summary
Consider biological and psychological explanations for crime
Phrenology and somatotyping
Legal definition of insanity
Psychological explanation of crime
Unit 4 Notes
Violent Crimes and Crimes Against Property
Learn about crimes against persons and crimes against property
Understand the different legal categories of homicide
Examine the different categories of thieves
Investigate the cost
1. What is crime?
Crime is human actions that violate the formalized laws of a country state, or
local area like a city or township.
2. What are three different types of norms? Given an example of each.
One type of norm is a Folkway, or everyday customs h
1. What are the four body types in William H. Sheldons
somatotyping? Describe each body type and identify which one
Sheldon believed was related to delinquency and crime.
Endomorphs: People who are soft and round, Mesomorphs: People who are
muscular and a
1. What is social disorganization theory?
Social disorganization theory states that Crime is due to social conflict, social
change, or lack of consensus in the group
2. What are three of the different adaptations that Merton identifies? Identify
Exploring the Mind of a Killer <- your first lab link
1. What factors does Fallon suggest create psychopathic killers?
epigenetic effects, brain damage, and environment
2. Where did Fallon see damage in the brain when he looked at
the brains of psychopath
Online Cyber Crime <- your first lab link
1. How much money was lost to internet thievery? Is this number
Half a billion dollars. I dont believe this number is accurate because some
could go unnoticed or unreported and banks are reluctant to ack
1. What led the FBI to investigate this particular place?
Information given by an insider.
2. How was this investigation different from an archaeological dig? Why
was it different?
There was a lot of mud, which made sifting for smaller items difficult