1 Vocabulary (in notes)
2 Indicate the arguments and predicator(s) in each sentence.
a) John is a linguist
b) John loves Mary
c) Mary loves John
(Are arguments ordered?)
d) John gave Mary a ring
e) Chicago is between Los Angeles and N
2. Can different expressions have the same referent? Give an example not found in this unit.
3. Can the same expression have different referents? Give an example not found in this unit.
4. Give an example of an expression not found in
2. Is semantics concerned only with complete sentences? Explain.
3. Indicate the conventions used in the text to distinguish a sentence from an utterance. Give
an illustration of each.
4. Indicate whether each of the following sentenc
2. Try to paraphrase (restate in your own words) each of the following uses of the word mean
as it is employed in the sentences below. Which sentences are more reflective of speaker
meaning and which are more reflective
1. Vocabulary (in notes)
2. Which of the following could be used as referring expressions? Be able to explain why or
a) my table
b) a unicorn
c) no love
g) A book
h) Abraham Lincoln
For sentences 36 below decide whe