Pyruvate Dehydrogenase Complex
-a complex of three enzymes that transform pyruvate into
acetyl CoA acetyl-CoA.
-the acetyl-CoA can then be used in the citric acid cycle
for cellular respiration .
-the complex links the glycolysis pathway to the citric
Amino Acids are derived from three sources:
-by digestion of dietary protein
-by turnover of cellular proteins
-by biosynthesis from simple building blocks
Essential and Non-Essential Amino Acids:
-Eight amino acids (Essential Amino Ac
Lecture 20: Molecular Biology Overview and the
Slide 1. Molecular Biology Overview and the Central Dogma
In this lecture, we will review the fundamental features of
molecular biology. The goal is to understand the ov
Recombinant DNA Technology
-Retroviruses like HIV have an RNA genome,
but copy it into DNA during infection. This
DNA copy inserts into the host chromosome and
behaves like a host gene.
-The enzyme reverse transcriptase is an
Requirements for Replication
-DNA Polymerase III
-DNA Polymerase I
Replication of Leading and Lagging DNA Strands
-The two strands are
Which of the following biological systems is directly responsible for the majority of NADPH
synthesis in eukaryotic organisms?
b. The tricarboxylic acid cycle
c. The pentose phosphate shunt
d. Electron transport chain and F1/F0 A
Lecture 18 Review BioC 3021
1. How quantitatively important are lipids such as triacylglycerols as human energy stores?
Why is storage of energy as lipid much more efficient than storage as carbohydrate?
What cell type accounts for most lipid storage?
Lecture 3 Review for BioC 3021
1. What are the names and chemical structures of the 20 common amino acids?
2. What are the chemical properties of the R-groups of the 20 common amino acids?
3. Which amino acid isomer is found in protein molecules? Why does
Lecture 12 Review BioC 3021
1. What are the major functions of nucleotides and nucleic acids? What three components are
found in these substances? What component makes them acids?
2. Which four bases occur in nucleic acids and which for occur in ribonucle
Lecture 1 Review BioC 3021
1. What are the six most common elements present as covalent components of bioorganic
2. What are covalent bonds, and how strong and permanent are they relative to other bonds in living
3. What is the diffe
Lecture 4 Review for BioC 3021
1. What are the four levels of protein structure and what are the characteristics of each level?
2. How does the rotation or lack of rotation of peptide, phi and psi bonds influence secondary and
tertiary protein structure?
Lecture 6 Review for BioC 3021
1. What is the definition of a catalyst, and why do enzymes qualify as catalysts?
2. What are the characteristics of the active sites of enzymes?
3. What are the lock and key and the induced fit models for enzyme catalysis?
Unit 1 Study Guide
Before you take the exam you should have viewed the following presentations:
Lecture 2 Review for BioC 3021
1. What are the most common oxidization and reduction reactions in living organisms?
2. Starting with methane and ending with carbon dioxide, what are the intermediates in an
oxidation pathway in which additional bonds to ox
Lecture 5 Review for BioC 3021
1. What three methodologies or strategies must a research scientist use in order to carry out the
purification of a protein?
2. What can be done to enrich the protein of choice in the starting crude extract?
3. What kind of
Unit 3 Study Guide
For the third exam you should have viewed the following lectures:
Alexandra da Fonseca Francisco (A75035)
Joo Braga da Costa (A58456)
Laura Ins Gomes de Sousa (A74594)
Margarida Pinheiro Antunes (A73848 )
Mestrado Integrado em Engenharia Biomdica | 3 ano
ANLISE DE DADOS
Nos ltimos anos tm-se verificado avanos importantes
na gerao de dados experimentais na Biologia
Estes incluem no apenas as novas capacidades de
sequenciao (dita NGS) mas tambm outras tcnicas
Noes bsicas de PPO
Classe: prottipo de um objeto que define:
conjunto de atributos que caraterizam objetos dessa
classe; cada atributo ter valores independentes para
instncias distintas de objetos dessa classe
ALGORITMOS BSICOS PARA
DNA, RNA e o fluxo de informao
Representao de sequncias
Computacionalmente, assumiremos que as
sequncias biolgicas so repre
Bibliotecas Python para computao
cientfica e anlise de dados
Estendem as funcionalidades da consola
do python (ipython console) com:
Interface web que permite correr cdigo python
interativamente e verifi