1. Where in the ocean basin would we find the continental shelf?
Between the continent and the continental slope
2. Which list below identifies the layers of the Earth in the correct order from the center outward?
Inner core, outer core, mantle, crust
1. What process forms igneous rocks? cooling and solidification of magma
2. The formation of sedimentary rocks occurs under what conditions? Sedimentary rocks form when
weathered particles are cemented and/or compacted.
3. Metamorphic rocks can form when
Geology- Plate Tonics
1. What process is evident at oceanic trenches?
sinking of oceanic lithosphere into the mantle at a subduction zone
2. What type of plate boundary is usually associated with pull-apart rift zones?
A divergent plate boundary
3. What i
Chapter 2 Quiz
1. Which of the following statements about tectonic plates is true? Most tectonic plates contain both
oceanic and continental lithosphere
2. What is the relationship between continent edges and plate boundaries? Very few plate
1. Below are four images showing the relationship between plate boundaries and
volcanism. You will indicate what type of plate boundary activity produced each feature.
Drag the appropriate labels to their respective targets.
2. The production of magma (ma
Chapter 4: Igneous Rocks
1. Which of the following rocks has the same mineral composition as andesite? diorite
2. Which of the following are used for studying rocks with a polarizing or petrographic
microscope? Thin selections
3. Why would a plume of soli
Volcanoes and Other Igneous Activity
1. In 1980, _ was the first Cascade Range volcano to erupt since Mt. Lassen in
a. Mt. Rainier
b. Mt. Shasta
d. Mt. St. Helens
2. Which type of basaltic lava flow has a fairly smooth, unfragmented, r
Chapter 3: Matter and Minerals.
1. What is the hardest known substance in nature? Diamond
2. Which one of the following mineral groups exhibits a sheet-like silicate structure? Clay minerals
3. What are the lightest in weight or least massive of the basic
Geology 1 Questions for Chapter 6
1) Clay minerals formed from gabbro or diorite bedrock illustrate which kind of weathering?
2) Which of the following is/are most susceptible to chemical weathering by
Chapter 3 Practice Quiz
1. Which of the following is true about rocks? Rocks do not necessarily exhibit a
characteristic crystalline structure or chemical composition.
2. In minerals, how are the chemical composition and the crystalline structure