Chapter 16 Speech Vocabulary
1. Persuasion: The process of influencing another persons values, beliefs, attitudes, or
2. Speech to convince: A persuasive speech designed to influence listeners beliefs or
3. Speech to actuate: A persu
Chapter 18 Speech Vocabulary
1. Speech of introduction: A speech introducing a featured speaker to an audience.
2. Speech of presentation: A speech conferring an award, a prize, or some other
recognition on an individual or group.
3. Acceptance speech: A
Chapter 1 Vocabulary
1. Communication: The process of sharing meaning by sending and receiving symbolic
2. Interpreter: Any person using symbols to send or receive messages.
3. Symbol: Anything to which people attach meaning.
4. Referent: The object
Chapter 14 Speech Vocabulary
1. Object: An actual item or three-dimensional model of an item used during the delivery
of a speech.
2. Picture: A photograph, painting, drawing, or print used to make a point more vivid or
3. Diagram: A graphic,
Chapter 2 Vocabulary
1. Ethics: Standards used to discriminate be- tween right and wrong, good and bad, in
thought and actions.
2. Plagiarism: The unattributed use of an- others ideas, words, or pattern of organization.
3. Intentional Plagiarism: The deli
Chapter 17 Speech Vocabulary
1. Argument: The process of reasoning from evidence to prove a claim.
2. Validity: The accuracy with which your supporting materials support your claim.
3. Evidence: Supporting material a speaker uses to prove a point.