ASTRONOMY 104 TEST #1 STUDY GUIDE
1. A star is located at the far end of the Galaxy. Its absolute and relative magnitudes are M
and m. What can you say about M and m, which one is larger, and how much?
a. Absolute magnitude is how bright a star would appe
Test 2 Astronomy Review Questions:
1. Which of the following is the most important measure of a telescope?
a. The diameter of its mirror (or lens)
2. The largest telescope we have at Ole Miss is 15 inches. What category is that?
a. A decent amateur size.
How do they work?
Lens collects light
Use Eyepiece to watch image
Mirror collects light
Use eyepiece to watch image
Large lens/mirror collects much light the diameter of the telescope is the
Astro test 3 questions
1. How do we know that the sun is made mainly of hydrogen?
a. Its spectrum contains hydrogen lines.
2. Which one of the following types of spectra indicate the presence of cold gas
located between a star and earth?
a. Absorption spe
Light and Spectrum
The device that resolves the colors of light
The spectroscope made by Josephy von Fraunhofer, 1814
Light from telescope enters slit (to block off stray light)
Prism (or grating) separates the colors.
Produces spectrum o