Place, Space and Identity
Alan Nash '
Some notes to accompany your viewing of the video
0 General Objective: we will see from this video that it is the unique blending
of diffusion and innovation of cultural traits together in one pa
Definitions Flash Cards-Chapter 12-World Geography
Dependency Ratio - # of people the working adult takes care of # ppl less than 15 over 64/rest of pop
Most Population Migration - Rural to Urban
Push Factors(Migration) - Civil Strife, Env. Degradation, U
Chapter intro and key facts:
o GNI PPP per capita (per person): Gross national income per
person in relation to purchasing power parity; number
represents total value of goods and services a person could
buy in the US
Study Guide- Geography
Places to Know
North Africa & The Middle East
Libya (Tripoli, Benghazi)
Tunisia (Tunis, Sidi Bouzid)
Aswan High Dam
Faveleas- gang run them
Climates change fuels migration from
Comando Vermelho (CV) was political
organization that formed in the jails
Moved to favelas during neoliberal movement
Brazil in d
Ch. 4 Definitions/Notes
1. Absolute Humidity - The mass of water vapor in a given volume of air. The mass of water
vapor per unit volume of air, usually expressed as grams of water vapor per cubic meter of
2. Absolute Instability - The condition of a
Ch. 1 Definitions/Notes
1. Aerosols - Very small solid and liquid particles like dust, soot, sea salts. Absorbs
radiation. Cause cloud formation and red/orange sunrises and sunsets.
2. Air - a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen, and minute amounts of other gases
Ch. 5 Definitions/Notes
1. Cloud A visible aggregate of small water droplets. A dense concentration of suspended
water droplets or ice crystals.
Cirrus clouds are high, white, and thin.
Cumulus clouds are globular, usually exhibiting a flat bas
Ch. 8 Definitions/Notes
1. Air Mass An air mass is an immense body of air (1200+ km by several km thick). It
has similar temperatures and humidity throughout. Air masses are classified by their
source region. A large body of air, usually 1600 kilometers o
Ch. 6 Definitions/Notes
1. Atmospheric Pressure (Air Pressure) The force exerted against a surface by
continuous collision of gas molecules. The force exerted by the weight of a column of air
above a given point. The air pressure at sea level is about 1 k
Ch. 2 Definitions/Notes
1. Absorptivity The process in which incident radiant energy is retained by a substance.
The absorbed radiation is then transformed into molecular energy. The ability of an object
to assimilate energy from electromagnetic waves tha
Ch. 3 Definitions/Notes
1. Absolute Zero
- 273 degrees Celsius = 0 Kelvin. The Lowest Temperature anything
2. Annual Mean Temperature Average of monthly mean.
3. Annual Temperature Range - Difference between highest and lowest monthly mean.
Final Review Study Sheet. The final is cumulative so be sure to review the first part of the
class but there will be much more of an emphasis on the regions of the second half of the class.
Definitely know the basic concepts discussed in the first parts o