Exam 5 Concept Maps
Ch. 20 Evolutionary change
Keeps both alleles
in a population
change in genes
1. If a DNA molecule of 50 base pairs contains 15 cytosine bases (C), how many
thymine bases will it have?
2. If the sequence of one strand of DNA is 5-GCTAGCGTCG-3, what is the
sequence of the compl
1. An example of a gene product encoded by a regulatory gene is:
a. beta-galactosidase enzyme.
c. repressor protein.
2. E. coli lac operon control by lac I
a. negative inducible
b. negative repressible
DNA in E. coli is methylated. To distinguish the old template strand from the newly
15 & 18 practice problems
1. The genetic code is said to be degenerate because:
a. there are more codons than amino acids.
b. there are more amino acids than codons.
c. different organisms use different codons to encode the same amino acid.
d. some codons
Chapter 4 Practice Problems
T/F 1. In humans SRY is the male determining gene.
T/F 2. Temperature during embryonic development determines sex in reptiles like turtles and
3. Red-green color blindness is X-linked recessive. A woman with normal
1. When both parents are heterozygous for an autosomal recessive trait, neither
show the trait, but of their children will. True
2. Which term refers to mating between closely related people?
T/F 1. Linked genes always exhibit recombination frequencies of less than 50%.
T/F 2. The higher the coefficient of coincidence, the higher the degree of
T/F 3. Linkage analysis can be performed using haplo
1. Given an individual with a single recessive allele, explain how a deletion could
result in the expression of the recessive phenotype.
2. _ can cause genes to move from one linkage group to another.
T/F 1. At a single genetic locus, a diploid individual may have more than two
T/F 2. Recessive alleles form no gene products, and thus are not expressed.
T/F 3. All the genetic material in a eukaryotic cell is found in the nucleus.
Chp 7.4,8.1,8.2 practice problems
3. A panel of cell lines was created from mouse-human somatic cell fusions. The following table
indicates which chromosomes are found in five cell lines (A, B, C, D, and E). Is there sufficient
information in the table to
A diploid somatic cell from a rat has a total of 42 chromosomes (2n = 42). As in
humans, sex chromosomes determine sex: XX in females and XY in males.
1. What is the total number of telomeres in a rat cell in G 2?
1. Humans first applied genetics to the domestication of plants and animals
between approximately 10,000 and 12,000 years ago. True
2. Some viruses have RNA as their genetic information. True
3. Genetic information can be carrie
Determining inheritance patterns of the white-eyed phenotype in
In this experiment, we examined the white-eyed phenotype of the Drosophila
melanogaster to gain understanding about