HIST 102: Western Civ
Scientific Revolution/Enlightenment Homework
1. Describe Ptolemaic Cosmology. Why did the Ptolemaic system fit so well with Christian
thought and beliefs?
Ptolemy stated that the earth was the center of the universe, and the sun, sta
1. Describe Absolutism in France.
France is the best example of Absolutism. The sovereign power in the state
rested in the rulers hand. The ruler claimed to rule divine right. And Sovereign
had the power to make laws, mete out justice, control the states
Chapter 14: Europe and the World: New Encounters
1. What is the significance of the Age of Exploration?
Marked the Transition from the agrarian economy of the Middle Ages to a Modern
commercial and industrial capitalistic System, and it created g
1. What were the 3 forces of change that influenced the revolutions of the 1820s, 1830s,
Nationalism, Liberalism, and socialism
2. What is nationalism? Where did ideas of nationalism begin in Europe? Where did
nationalist revolts take place in t