Nursing Bottle Tooth Decay Nursing bottle tooth decay or baby bottle tooth decay is caused by allowing
an infant or young child to go to bed with a bottle of milk, juice, or formula. The decay is caused by the
prolonged suckling of the bottle with the car
Metabolism the chemical processes that occur within a living organism in order to maintain life.
Example Citric Acid Cycle in Humans
Anabolism the synthesis of complex molecules in living organisms from simpler ones together with the
storage of energy; co
1. Prebiotic General term referring to substances that induce the growth or activity of microorganisms
(bacteria and fungi) that contribute to the well-being of their host. Example: Bananas.
Probiotics Live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your healt
1. Define acute and chronic disease and give an example of each.
Acute disease have abrupt onset, generally treatable such as chickenpox, flu, strep-throat
Chronic disease generally incurable, worsen overtime and endure for many years, multiple cau
Demographics of aging
1.) Aging - Is the process of growing old or elderly.
2.) Change in organs and systems of the body over time, in males this change is constant and at the same
speed for females it is slower during ages 45 to 60 and speeds up between
1. How does the somatosensory, vision and vestibular system each work to maintain balance and how do
they work synergistically to prevent falls?
Somatosensory body contact to objects such as touch and vibrations that help let you know where
your body part
1. How many pounds of lean body mass does an adult lose each decade of life, at what age does this
accelerate, what is muscle replaced with and how can an individual decrease this loss
6.6 pounds per year which accelerates after age 45. Connective tissue
1. Energy needs decrease as older adults get older, why? Make sure to discuss at least 2 reasons.
2. What is Macular degeneration, what are 3 risk factors for developing in and what nutrients are
involved in helping to prevent it?
Macular degeneration is
1. How many Americans are currently caregivers, what is the number expected to increase to as baby
boomers grow older?
16 million. Expected to be 35 million once baby boomers retire.
2. List 3 characteristics of a typical caregiver.
1. Name the 4 dimensions of aging and give an example of each.
Biological loss of body renewing itself muscles and tissues dont repair themselves like they used to
Psychological reaction times become slower, and movement slows down mental focus worsens.